1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God damn kids won't get off my lawn, or out of our office

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Small Town Guy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Bringing in a kid for an hour isn't a big deal. Sometimes, you just have to. All day? No fucking way. Take the day off, find a child-care center or baby sitter. And an untrained puppy? Are you fucking kidding me?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am still shocked that people bring pets on airplanes.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The parent of said child can afford a NANNY, but can't afford a babysitter? Seriously?

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

93Devil.

My dog goes with us on planes. I wish he didn't have to be in a kennel.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

That's when you start dropping loud f-bombs for no reason...or keep following the 6-year old around muttering "Only 10 more years til your legal..."

That will at least get rid of one problem...might create a new one...but that mother will NEVER let her kids go to the office again! LOL

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

A woman in production brings her two kids - 9 and 4 - into the office on deadline mornings. They're pretty good, but the youngest acts up occasionally. Mom keeps them out of everyones hair and mostly out of editorial. Production people don't say anything be use they're so short staffed. I still openly curse when they're around and if she ever said anything, I'd politely explain to her that this is an office, not day care.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

One of my haunts, when I worked Sundays with a skeleton crew, was made awesome because one of the reporters would bring in her huge-ass puppy. A German short-haired pointer. Great dog. Was a joy to have around — didn't make noise, would sit at our feet and chew on a ball or bone until someone found the need to stretch. Then, it was playtime... out to the hallway for some fetch. Great dog. He got the boot after about a year because he yakked in the editor's office and the owner did a piss-poor job of cleaning it up. Shame.

On the other hand, the receptionist in our sister office brought her two dogs in on a Saturday while she wrapped up some work. They proceeded to shit all over the sports department - and she left the little gifts for the staff to find on Sunday. Stench didn't fade for days.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

We call it Daddy Daycare around here. Our president brings his son, who must be 13, 14, in on occasion and you never know the kid is there. Our accountant however brings his hellion nine-year-old in way too often. The kid is rude to everyone in the office and treats his old man like complete shit. The old man thinks the kid is destined for the NHL, military school would be a more reasonable destination if you aks me.

Huggy Jr. comes to the office too but he works. On Sundays we play at 2 p.m. at home so we come to the office at 10. I go to my desk and he heads to the dressing room to help the training and equipment staff get set up for the game. I don't see him again for a couple of hours until it's time for lunch. Then it's back to work for both of us. We cross paths between periods when he is filling water bottles and folding towels and getting the guys Gatorade. He used to wait for me after games, now we wait for him to finish throwing the laundry in and tidying up.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

No annoying kid or pet issues at my joint. But uncomfortable? We've got that covered.

One reporter has a 14-year-old girl who is a bit of a hell-raiser. Won't go into details, but the girl got into real hot water over sexting about six months ago. Anyway, she's got to keep her on a short leash which means bringing her into work sometimes. Well, about two weeks ago, this reporter walks into the newsroom after her assignment and announces to everyone that her daughter just got busted making out with a 12-year-old boy. The girl was with her, but was busy sulking in the hall or car or something. After a few minutes, the daughter walks into the newsroom and just starts breaking down sobbing. And of course all the ugly details come pouring out. I got the hell out of there for a good 15 minutes because it was so damn awkward. Luckily the girl calmed down and wasn't there for the whole evening.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think a 14-year-old girl should be able to make out with a 12-year-old boys without it being an office announcement.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Holy shit the original post made me laugh.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

One of our old AE's brought his cat Marvin in on a slow night.

Marvin basically just hung out and watched everyone. He rocked. I stayed late to play with him.

I miss Marvin, and said AE.

Draft saved Draft deleted