1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Bless You Warren Moon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Wheel Gunner, Aug 6, 2006.

1. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Oh man, I would love to have heard Rayfield Wright!

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Warren Moon was awesome.

I don't cream in my shorts over his work like a lot of people here, but Plaschke wrote a damn good column about Moon last week that addressed everything -- including the spousal abuse.

3. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

They Rayfield Wright speech maybe the single best speech I have ever seen. I was almost in tears when I watched it, just phenomenal.

4. Mutah

Mutah Member

Mr. Moon was integral in my only really regretted act of stadium hooliganism. And I regret it highly to this day. Was in a great situation of having tickets to a Browns playoff game, a week after the Browns beat the Oilers in the final regular season game (thanks, Don Strock) to earn the wildcard and the right to play Houston again immediately. Of course, Houston wins in Muni Stadium, and I and about 5,000 other fans pelted the Oilers with milkbones as they left the field. But my last throw -- I watched its entire flight, straight into Moon's facemask and riccocheting up into his face. Immediately thought "Jesus Christ, what am I doing?" Felt like an asshole. Wanted to apologize to Warren Moon, Keith Moon, Soleil Moon Frye, Moon Unit Zappa -- any Moon I could find.
    Got that chance a year later after another game. Certainly didn't have time to explain, but shook the man's hand.
    So, I'm glad he's been enshrined. Though for years he was the enemy of my beloved Browns, he was a great QB, imo.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

From such humble beginnings...

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

And herein lies the best summation of the terrible things that have befallen the Browns in their storied history.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And all of that happened after the Oilers threw that regular season game, knowing they could come back and pound on the Browns at will when it mattered.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Oilers were playing in the snow against Strock, and they spread their legs open in true Oiler fashion. Harbinger of things to come. The playoff game was tight for three quarters, and historically memorable (aside from a great performance by Allen Pinkett) only because it was Schottenheimer's last game in the Pound.

On a side note, Don Strock is the tannest person I've ever spoken with.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

And Matt Foley knows a little about speeches. :)

As a sidenote, Madden cut up the way I thought he would. Funny stuff, though I wish he could have utilized the telestrator somehow.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

All I knows is he gave me 12 years worth of good fantasy points, baby.

But yesterday ... you could absolutely feel the air of discomfort when he got around to talking about his family. From everyone.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I was sitting in the office, and he said something about thanking "the mother of my children" and I thought "Did he just thank his babymomma?"

How odd.

Draft saved Draft deleted