1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Bless SI

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Walter_Sobchak, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I didn't even notice it when it came in the mail today, but kudos to the fine folks at Sports Illustrated for their addition to the top left corner of the cover.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Colin Cowherd had a good take on this early this week...he noted that it's a PR stunt that you would expect from, say, ESPN Mag, not from a journalistic enterprise like SI.

I agree with him.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Freakin' awesome. I'm not sure his return even warrants a mention on the cover because of his old tired act, but if it does, that's probably the right amount of play.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

They actually have a story in the mag about the Vikings' No. 2 and 3 QB job and how either Sage or Tavaris is probably going to get cut since Booty is a cheap third string.

It doesn't have a single mention of Brett Favre. Hilarious.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Favre coming back is great fun.

Stop being such pansies.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agree with TigerVols. Unprofessional.

Soon enough, Peter King will get another cover story with Favre. And if recent SI trends continue, it will probably include plenty of first-person references by the writer.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was really well played. Fun.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Everyone at SI knows Favre will be in every subsequent issue, so may as well have fun with the one he isn't in. It's not a stunt that's going to sell any copies.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A funny idea that should have been kaboshed after everyone cracked up at the first cover meeting. Be a news magazine or be Mad magazine, spare us from wobbly attempts to be both.

And btw: this issue is thinner than the local pizza delivery menu.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's true too.

Draft saved Draft deleted