1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"God Bless America" (GOP version)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Sep 23, 2007.

1. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Look at your post for your example.

2. jimmymc --
    With all due respect, a theocracy is exactly what a lot of these people want.
    And, if a Democratic group had rewritten God Bless America in such a way as to rip the country, the rightwing echo chamber would never shut up about it.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Can't help but agree. What a joke these assclowns are!

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

A letter to the editor in the Chicago Tribune last week talked about how we (U. S.) want to spread democracy to Iraq while avoiding the installment of a theocracy by those factions living there now.

But the letter writer also observed that while the U. S. wants democracy in Iraq, it seemed ironic that Evangelicals here would love to make the U. S. into a theocracy if they could.

5. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Just what exactly do you people mean by "theocracy" as it applies to this discussion?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Are you without access to a dictionary, jimmy?

7. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

No, I have about 10 of them Zeke. But what you people mean doesn't always jibe with the dictionary definition. Just trying to clarify what you people mean by the word.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, then, I would suggest looking up the word so you know what it means and then asking a question if you feel it's been used differently than the standard definition.

You know, unless you just wanted to pull some kind of intellectual parlor trick.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jimmy, do us a favour. Tell us what you think the word means rather than dancing around the issue.

10. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

If by "theocracy" you mean government by people who believe in God (particularly the Christian God), then I wouldn't disagree with you. That would probably describe most of the folks in question. And if you think that is wrong, we will just have to disagree.

You might prefer stone-cold atheists at the helm, you might want trained dogs to rule, you may want despotic aliens, whatever. Vote for who you want, and let me/us do the same. Some of the crap you seem to support gets my goat, but I don't think you shouldn't be able to vote, vote, vote for it with all your might.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Classic.

So removed from reality one doesn't even know where to start.

12. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Yes, Zeke, you are certainly far removed from reality, but thanks for another no-content bullshit response! I figured you wouldn't have a coherent answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted