1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God-awful baseball score -- no April Fools' joke needed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The game didn't happen, according to NCAA rules. Games scheduled for 9 innings can be shortened to 7 innings by a mercy rule; but games scheduled for 7 innings cannot be shortened. The only way the game (and the stats from the game) can count is if the game was shortened due to weather or other extenuating circumstances. Being shortened because of an ass-kicking is not good enough.

2. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Where were Elmore Smith and Travis "Machine Gun" Grant when Kentucky State needed them?

3. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

So the mercy rule is not in effect in 7-inning doubleheaders?

4. KP

KP Active Member

Bridgewater (MA) State laughs at all this talk.

http://www.bscbears.com/sports/bsb/2006-07/stats/bscbb14.htm

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I would have left and told the SID to fax me the box. It's a shame that it would have sucked all of the paper out of the fax.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Correct... in 7-inning doubleheaders, the games must be played to completion. I believe that NAIA and some JuCo conferences across the country still permit a five-inning mercy rule for 7-inning games, but not in the NCAA.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"40 runs, for crissakes, and nobody gets knocked down" [Sibby Sisti}

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm not sure about regular-season JUCO games, but at the JUCO World Series, there's a 10 after five, eight after seven mercy rule. And those are nine-inning games.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The follow-up story just moved on the wire.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jPpIj5v2PgMygaVAH-TJ7odI25SgD97ALKH00

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

You know what Kentucky State's problem is? They're lollygaggers.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

God help the "2."

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Ladies and gentlemen, your Tuskegee Golden Tigers, who are, incredibly, 8-10 overall. Dropped both ends of a March 7 doubleheader, 16-4 and 17-13. (They did win the third game of the series, 18-3.)

Draft saved Draft deleted