1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God-awful baseball score -- no April Fools' joke needed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Apr 1, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fucker stole my idea...
    Guess this wasn't an April Fools joke, huh?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Kentucky State might disagree, slap ...

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Hate to be Jamaal Duncan. He pitched 2.1 innings and gave up 25 runs on 22 hits. Luckily, only 14 of them were earned.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

true

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Somehow I doubt there was any purpose to the pitch other than showing that the pitchers couldn't locate.

6. I never would have guessed.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

First-inning line for Daniel: 3-3-3-7, 3B, HR.

Think he went out in the field for the top of the second with a little hop in his step?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

YOU ONLY COVER US WHEN WE LOSE BY 48 RUNS!!!

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I think I went to one k-state game in the year-plus i worked in frankfort. And the only time we covered them was for a feature on a hometown kid.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I agree with you and shot -- to a point.

EKU is in Richmond. KSU is in Frankfort. Both are about the same distance (west and south, respectively) from Lexington. You can only schedule UK, UL and Western so many times. Same would probably go for Cincinnati -- does Xavier have baseball? -- if they would even consider coming down I-75. Aside from their OVC brethren, there aren't that many teams in close proximity to EKU.

Considering the budget most small D-I baseball schools have, I wouldn't be surprised to see more scores like this.

My guess is EKU would be better off scheduling teams like Georgetown and Spalding (a Louisville school that's been fairly successful in baseball of late). The only problem with those schools? They're NAIA.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I was covering a high school game (smallest class) once and the team I was covering was OK for its level. The other team may now be the KSU team.... it was something like 25 or 30 to 1 or 2 in the second inning. They'd been play for something like three hours. The coaches and umpires huddled, the game was called... a really short version of the mercy rule. The umpire, who I knew and was on good terms with, begged me not to write that they didn't play the require 4 1/2 innings. I didn't.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

And this game (games, I guess) was scheduled for what reason?

Draft saved Draft deleted