1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOAT writers, by sport

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Peter Gammons' story from Game 6 of the 1975 World Series is widely hailed as one of the best gamers ever. I'm not crazy about it, though.

2. exposbabe

exposbabe New Member

LOL. No. Saying that GOATS tend to have longevity, because all that experience adds up and shows. But that longevity alone is a slippery slope :)

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he covered the Orioles for The Post, at least at one point. Until they got the Nationals, The Post treated the Orioles as the home team.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Part of being an all-time great is longevity, though.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Second the idea that Buster Olney was a better beat writer than Young. Olney gamers worth reading because
    He would observe things that most would miss. I read somewhere that he was Wellington Marra's favorite
    baseball writer.

For the NFL would call it a toss up between Dr Z and McDonough.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Shit, that clinches it for me.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yeah I know blue font , ect ect. Just thought it was an interesting bit of trivia. Supposedly Marra was really
    disappointed when The Times pulled Olney off the beat. He was a loyal follower.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Red Fisher is the perfect example...

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The horrible deadline situation of this event is right there in the copy, so this probably qualifies as nit-picking.

But a baseball "crashing" off mesh? I'm assuming Peter had to grip 'n' rip, no time to search for a better word.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I actually preferred, way back then as just a reader, Bob Ryan's lede on his Reds sidebar story for that game, which read. "Too bad baseball is such dull sport, eh, gang?"

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

And that's how Ryan talks. But I've always cringed at folksy things in written pieces, like "gang?" Or "eh." Or "yup." Or "you bet." Fingernails on a blackboard to me, actually. What works when spoken doesn't always work when typed.

Should have stuck the period after "sport" and moved on IMHO. The sarcasm would have been evident in context.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's a matter of taste, Joe. The colloquial verbal style doesn't bother me, but I can see how it might bother you.

Draft saved Draft deleted