1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOAT, RB CATEGORY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sanders gets points for not playing too long. We only remember him being great. I don't know if that should matter, but I think it does...

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Bo Jackson? No Curtis Martin?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Jim Brown gets points for that, too. Once people started to pass him on the career list, it didn't take long for old-time fans to remind folks that Brown retired when he was 29 and still had at least a couple more good seasons in the tank.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

He'd obviously lost a step. You could tell when he couldn't make it to the halftrack in time to avoid getting shot in The Dirty Dozen.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Emmitt Smith should be No. 1. You shouldn't get credit for what you theoretically might have done, you should get credit for what you did. Smith was the most durable back the game's ever seen.

Durability gets overlooked as a trait because it's not flashy, but it doesn't matter how good you are if you aren't on the field on Sunday.

Sanders was the most exciting I've ever seen (never watched Brown). Payton was more complete than Sanders. I loved watching Sanders, Smith and Payton.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

His strength was declining too. Had trouble getting the caps of those vents.
    I would have liked the ending of DD a lot better had Jefferson made it.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did you see Emmitt's quote about Sanders? Even Emmitt doesn't think he should be No. 1. :D

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

If I'm starting a team from scratch, I'd rather have Smith in his prime than Sanders in his.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would too based on Smith durability. As the game is today though with less value
    placed on RB's I would want a QB first as my cornerstone.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Marion Mötley, check him out. Top 20, played LB too.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

Who knew Marion Motley was German?

Your point, though, is very well taken. Motley averaged an astounding 5.7 yards per carry operating mostly as a physical, up-the-middle fullback. He was the most powerful runner of his time, and one of the greats of any time. Dr. Z called him the greatest football player he ever saw.

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I am a bit to young to have seen Jim Brown but what I have seen on film and from what people I trust tell me, he was the best runner. I would give my vote for most complete running back however to Walter Payton. His running skills were obvious, he was the best in blitz pick up ever, he was a fine receiver, he was a ferocious blocker, he even was pretty damn good as a passer. For my money, Walter Payton was the best football player I ever saw, he would have been a beast in any era and if need be he would have been a hell of a defensive player as well. For the first 10 years of his career I don't think he ever had a Pro Bowl lineman in front of him either. As an all around player(again, never saw Brown), nobody on this list is close to Walter. And I hate the fucking Bears.

Draft saved Draft deleted