1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOAT, RB CATEGORY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Roger Craig doesn't belong anywhere near the top 20 RBs of all-time, and definitely not ahead of Allen, Dorsett and Riggins.

I'm pretty sure those three were all first ballot Hall of Famers.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Kerry Collins is 12th all-time in passing yards. Therefore, Kerry Collins is the 12th best quarterback of all time.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you look at a total career, yes. But if you talk about one game or most talented, he's in the top five.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agreed. He'd be No. 1 on list of "shooting star" RBs, guys who had a brief but memorable impact on the game, but not on any all-time greatest lists.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Agreed, except he'd be No. 2, behind Terrell Davis.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He had 1,400 touches in three years. That is almost criminal.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even put Bo at No. 2 on the "brief but memorable impact" basis, and he's WAY behind Davis. Jackson never had a single thousand yard season and had only one season where he even came remotely close to that mark. It's absurd that his name even gets included in these discussions.

He was the best damn Tecmo Bowl player ever, though.

And, btw, I'd propose that No. 1 on the "brief but memorable impact" list should be Gale Sayers. Out of curiosity, can anyone justify how highly Sayers gets ranked on these lists on any basis other than the stories and highlights they've seen on NFL films?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Davis, Sayers and Jackson deserve their own list.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't realize Davis' peak was an elite back as only about three years. I guess since he stuck around a couple of years after getting hurt, I thought he had a longer peak than that. He'd definitely qualify.
    Christian Okoye and Billy Sims are two others that come to mind. Sims was like watching a primitive version of Barry Sanders, right down to the number and team.

[​IMG]

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Jackson also never played more than 11 games in a season. If he'd have gone full-time with football, he likely would've had 1,000-plus yards all four years he was in the league.

And good call on Sayers. Completely whiffed on that one.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Sanders made jaw-dropping plays and huge gains, but he also had loads of no gains and negative plays. He wasn't a guy you could count on to get a tough yard inside when you needed one. And he flat-out vanished in big games.

His spectacular ability puts him among the greats, but those issues leave him a step below a few others.

And I really can't believe O.J. Simpson doesn't seem to rank in anyone's list of 10 best running backs in history. A murderous lowlife scum he is, but he was also one of the greatest backs ever to play.

Draft saved Draft deleted