1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOAT, RB CATEGORY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Peterson is definitely a top 10 back. I agree that the only real debate here is who is 2-10.

I'd probably go:

1. Brown
    2. Sanders
    3. Payton
    4. Dickerson
    5. Tomlinson
    6. Faulk
    7. Peterson
    8. Campbell
    9. Dorsett
    10. Smith

Honorable mention: Martin, Sayers, Thomas, Harris...

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He so good Dorsett is at both 12 and 16?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Thurman over Peterson, OJ or Allen is tough, but it seems solid.

I'm not the biggest fan of Sanders, but I can see the love for him.

Now, if you wanted one back for one game, Campbell and Jackson go very, very high on this list.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Franco Harris at 16.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Again, we are all aware that Curtis Martin is No. 4 on the all-time rushing list, right? Scored 100 total touchdowns? Just checking here.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Emmitt Smith himself once said that if Barry Sanders had played behind that Cowboys line of the early 90s, he would've finished his career with 20,000 yards. That's good enough for me to make Sanders No. 3 and Smith No. 4.
    Seems we've got a consensus on Brown at No. 1. Payton should be No. 2. He was probably the most complete back ever.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Isaac Bruce is fourth all-time in receiving yards. Where is he among your top 10 receivers?

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Sanders freelanced so much it could've rendered even the best blocking schemes obsolete. Remember when the Lions tried to have a fullback back there with him?

Smith was a perfect system running back. Sanders was the complete opposite.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yes, but he did it over 14 seasons. Martin is one of four men to rush for 14,000 yards and did it in 11. He rushed for more than 1,000 in 10 straight seasons to start his career. All I'm saying is he belongs in the top 20, probably 11 or 12. The OP left him out completely.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Christ, so you don't even have Curtis Martin ranked in the Top TWENTY? Frickin absurd. You do realize he's the game's fourth all time leading rusher right?

And Bo Jackson's name belongs nowhere remotely near this discussion.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The more I think about it, the more I would put Payton No. 2, ahead of Sanders.

Sanders just had nobody else on most of those teams. At least Payton was on a few good teams (and arguably the greatest team of all-time) late in his career.

Payton was the first player who I watched as a kid who made my jaw drop. Sanders was the same way.

Draft saved Draft deleted