1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOAT, RB CATEGORY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The QB thread got me thinking about running backs, and how much they're used today. Of the 4 remaining playoff teams, only Seattle has a "Big-Name" running back.......

My top 10, FWIW.

1. Jim Brown
    2. Barry Sanders
    3. Walter Payton
    4. Emmitt Smith
    5. Gale Sayers
    6. Eric Dickerson
    7. Earl Campbell
    8. Marshall Faulk
    9. Thurman Thomas
    10. Ladainian Tomlinson

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

I don't usually like ranking players or teams across different eras because the game has changed so much over the years, but I feel pretty confident in saying the answer to this one is Jim Brown and no one is even close.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why do you have a linebacker on your RB list?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Although I'm too young, I've heard enough people talk about Brown that I'm convinced we are really debating Nos. 2 through 10 here.

Personally I would put LT a lot higher and I'm not sure how to evaluate Emmitt by himself vs. having the dominant O-line of the times in front of him. Think a whole lot of guys could have done what he did at the peak if not for as long a time.

Also Peterson needs to be on there, certainly ahead of Thomas.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Frank Gore is not a big-name running back?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Joe king, Frank Gore's typical season is about 1,200 rushing yards and a couple hundred receiving.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not in my opinion.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Barry Sanders avoided contact. Give me a runningback who ran through contact. And why the hell isn't Adrian Peterson on your list?

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think 8,9,10,11 are pretty much interchangeable.......my #11 would be Peterson.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Chef usually makes such shitty lists that I was pleasantly surprised that this one turned out to be just somewhat shitty instead of completely shitty.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He shouldn't be punished for self preservation.

He's still behind Payton, though.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My standard in greatness discussions is, who would I rather have had for their entire career? So Gale Sayers and Earl Campbell fall well behind.

Adrian Peterson obviously needs to be on the list, and LaDanian Tomlinson should be higher. Otherwise, that list was somewhat reasonable, stunningly.

Draft saved Draft deleted