1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOAT, QB Category

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Simple question, really:

Does a Super Bowl victory by either Peyton Manning or Tom Brady over the next three weeks clinch either's claim to the mantel?

Does one of them already own it?

Who is the Greatest Quarterback of All Time?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Still Joe Montana.

Unless Manning turns in three flawless Super Bowl performances before he retires, or Brady goes back in time and uncheats.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

With another SB win, PFM movies closer to Montana, but Montana is still the greatest.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Montana

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Brady has the best winning percentage in games played (3-2 in Super Bowls), Manning has the most wins and lots of records, Montana is 4-0 in Super Bowls. Bart Starr is 9-1 in the playoffs (losing only his first post season game then going 9-0), 5 Championships.

Its not quantifiable for GOAT

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'd vote for Montana, but I agree with heyabbott's point.

7. MisterCreosote

Montana in Super Bowls: 4-0, 68% completion, 11 TDs, 0 INTs, 1,142 yards, 127.8 rating, three Super Bowl MVPs.

That's pretty darn quantifiable.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I agree it's still Montana. It's hard to argue with a 4-0 record in the Super Bowl, especially the way he won...

If someone said it was Manning, I wouldn't argue. I think he's clearly a better QB than Tom Brady. Manning never played for someone like Belichick, even if he did play for a soon to be first-ballot HOF coach (eyes roll).

Baugh, Graham and Starr have to be in the conversation. All-time does not just mean "Super Bowl Era" even though sometimes I think people forget that football was played before Super Bowl I.

It is hard to compare a QB from the 60s to one in the 1980s and to now...

I'm just so sick of the notion that Manning only winning one title ruins his legacy. Everybody can't win multiple titles... In this era of the NFL with this much parity, there are going to be upsets.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No.

Montana.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The best I ever saw were Unitas, Montana, Manning and Brady. Put 'em in any order you want, it's like saying champagne is better than caviar or a Ferrari. Not a worthwhile argument. I was too young to see Graham, and my father, who passed away age 93 but grew up in D.C., always swore Baugh was the best of them all. Baugh's got a case, but I can comment on is what I saw.

11. MisterCreosote

It's not just that he's only won one title.

He still has lost more playoff games than he's won. And, his play has been a factor in some of those losses.

He's very noticeably worse in the postseason than he is in the regular season. His QB rating is almost a full 10 points lower in the playoffs.

That being said, while he's no higher than No. 2 on the all-time list, he's certainly no lower than fourth or fifth.

12. printit

printit Member

I don't understand the argument that, "Montana is 4-0 in the Super Bowl, therefore he is the best". If David Tyree drops the pass from Eli Manning, Tom Brady goes to 4-0 in the Super Bowl. Brady isn't as good as Montana because David Tyree caught that pass? And, when Brady goes to his fifth Super Bowl and loses close, bringing his total to 4-1, that makes him worse?

Manning is the best. Over the things which the QB has the most control over, Manning usually comes out on top. When you start comparing things that the QB has less control over, other names start to emerge.

Draft saved Draft deleted