1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOAT PK HOLDER

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My dad rarely drops f-bombs, I've probably heard it a handful of times in my entire life. But one time several years ago he was talking to somebody about baby names and told them he wanted to name me Nolan, but my mom never warmed up to it. The person said "oh, after Nolan Ryan." To which my dad replied "Fuck no. Nolan Fuckin' Cromwell."

2. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

HOF safety Paul Krause held for the Vikings in the 1970s, and threw an overtime TD pass on a fake FG against the Bears in 1977.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Eagles look like they had a pretty good one.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"This thread shoulda ended before it started." -- Yogi Berra.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hunter Smith was a punter and the holder on placekicks. He was a high school quarterback, which I suppose is why.

http://blog.redskins.com/2009/08/02/sunday-august-2-hunter-smith-greatest-holder-of-all-time/

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is my vote. I think it was Akers said at one point he owed a couple of his Pro Bowls to Detmer. Detmer was the No. 3 QB, but he was active on Sundays because he was so effective as a holder.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Koy was actually the No. 2 quarterback, until he got hurt in relief of McNabb, paving the way for the A.J. Feeley era.

9. Mizzougrad96

My understanding was Feeley was the No. 2, but Detmer was active on Sundays so he could hold.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Feeley became the No. 2 after he replaced Detmer in that game.

Basically, Detmer was No. 2 until he actually played in a game. Then, he was No. 3 after he returned from injury, because Feeley played well.

11. Mizzougrad96

Detmer basically parlayed being a great holder into almost a 10-year career. That's pretty impressive.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He also got KOed by Rocky Balboa in one of my favorite United Way commercials as a kid:

As for GOAT, David Humm used to get a lot of mention, at least from Madden.

As for other unusual holders, Jay Novacek used to hold for the Cowboys' kickers in the early 90s, and safety Joe Scarpati was the holder for Tom Dempsey on his 63-yarder.

Draft saved Draft deleted