1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOAT: Deep Snapper

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jan 17, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Let's face it, in terms of special teams, the deep snapper is incredibly important.

Some of them, at least one of them, sells insurance during the week before heading to the stadium to get suited up for the game.

And, not to get all wonky, but the quicker the deep snapper gets the ball back to the punter, that allows the punt return team less time to setup and block.

That saves touchdowns scored and gives teams wins.

So, here's to you deep snapper, you get to be a normal sized American, not all hopped up on the HGH to maintain muscle mass and you lessen your concussion risk because you see the field so little.

So who is the GOAT: Deep Snapper?

All of them.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Linda Lovelace

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Many college teams have separate long snappers (for punts) and middle snappers (for place kicks).

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ryan Pontbriand was the answer among active players for awhile and then he got the yips and his career was done. He had a nice run for about a decade with the Browns though.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The DeOssie's are the first family of long snapping.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Trey Junkin, before he took the blame for the Giants blowing a 24-point second-half lead in the playoffs.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember talking to Zak at the combine. Nice, smart kid...

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Some of these guys are tremendously skilled. I remember years ago the long snapper for one of the NFL teams I used to cover would kill time during practice by snapping the ball 30-35 yards to the punter. And he wasn't bouncing the ball up there or throwing high-arching rainbows -- they were frozen ropes. He and the punter used to swear that he could snap the ball so the laces would always be up when the punter caught it.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dave Binn, 18-years in the NFL as a long snapper - and he also dated Pamela Anderson (don't know if this helps or hurts)

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Did a story years ago on a long snapper. Very fun to write.
    Dude could knock a beer can off a tree stump with ease, repeatedly.
    It must be cool when your work requires you to see the world upside down at all times.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I remember reading an SI story about the Cowboys long snapper during their Super Bowl run; they were busting Aikman's chops about throwing footballs through a taxi cab window on Letterman so he started snapping the ball through open car windows driving thru the parking lot before a practice or something.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If there is one position to be in any professional sport, this is it.

I don't have the time to look it up, but what would a long snapper make who was a 10-year vet on the league minimum and what would their retirement look like from the NFL?

Draft saved Draft deleted