1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go-tos for features

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Illino

Illino Member

Which papers do you like to go to for sports features? Not magazine stuff like SI, but your 30- to 40-inchers on locals/college/pros.

Thanks

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Huh? What papers?
    At my paper, if we want a feature story about local or college stuff...we tell a reporter to write it.

TGO157 likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Newspapers still run 30- to 40-inch features? I missed that memo. If you find anything longer than 25, I'll be shocked.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

We do em occasionally, usually on a featurized column. It's pretty rare though.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

We run 40-inch features all the time. Three in the past two weeks between seasons.

Matt Stephens likes this.
  6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I wrote a 75-incher two months ago and a 55-incher last month. If you have a good story, take the time to do it right and write it well. There's nothing wrong with shorter features, but I still think long features are pretty common.

Gator likes this.
  7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We run plenty of features of that length in just about every section pretty regularly. And some damn good ones (usually), if I don't say so myself.

Gator likes this.
  8. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I've written three profiles of ~ 3,000 words or longer in the past year or so. On the other hand, thanks to staff reductions, we typically have plenty of space to fill, especially on Sundays. All three of those were sports-related but ran as A1 centerpieces.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Most sports sections I've seen lately are so space (and ad) deprived that I'm having a hard time imagining any newspaper having a huge newshole in sports.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

11. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I think there is more to gain from turning a 70-inch feature/enterprise/investigative story into a three- or four-part series, around 15-20 inches per story. That's just me, though. I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer the idea of chapters/episodes. Think of it like a TV show, if possible. I think you can sell a larger quantity of papers that way. Less of a one-and-done mentality for rack sales.

spikechiquet likes this.
  12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

It depends on the story. In some cases, you need all the information for it to work. In some cases, serializing works. The problem with serializing is that each piece really has to stand on its own because you can't count on people to read them all when they're broken up, even online.

And serializing does little or nothing to help circulation. We've done it both ways, and there's not a difference.

TGO157, BDC99 and Matt Stephens like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted