1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go-to easy recipes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Let's hear some of your go-to easy recipes. Times where you do not really feel like cooking, however, you're pretty hungry and want to make something good and quick. Not talking about a P&J sandwich, either.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Breakfast for dinner. Bacon and eggs. Or biscuits and gravy. Neither takes long and both are delicious.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If you're eliminating things like sandwiches, this is going to get a little difficult without "really cooking." If I'm hungry and I don't want to cook, I might roll quesadilla. Just two corn tortillas on a griddle toasted up then add cheese to melt. Add salsa and scarf.

I also found a super easy pizza recipe over the weekend. Really no skill needed.
    Get some naan (I used plain, but I suspect garlic or other will work too) stick it under the broiler for about two minutes per side to warm it up and slightly toast. Remove from oven, add pizza sauce, mozzarella and whatever toppings you want and put back under the broiler. Rotate if you need to make sure it heats evenly but leave it until the cheese is melted and the naan gets properly toasted. Slice and enjoy.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I buy frozen stuffed chicken breasts (cordon bleu or broccoli cheese) in packs for about a buck each, then I also buy Knorr's instant rice packets.
    Mix the rice with water, throw the chicken breast in a separate microwave dish, put it on high five minutes. Remove the chicken breast, chop it into 1/2 inch cubes, then stir it into the partially cooked rice mixture. Nuke the mixture five more minutes to a boil. Sprinkle a half handful of shredded cheese on top.
    Dig in.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lord, I could go all day. Wouldn't have had any success on Keto without a lot of easy meals. Will try to share a few when I get some time.
    If I can do them, they have to be easy

Wenders and Splendid Splinter like this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Fish recipe:

Heat oven to 500;
    place cast iron pan in for 10 mins;
    prepare fish (whatever you like) with olive oil (to avoid sticking) and seasonings (I like salt/pepper/soy sauce);
    remove pan and place fish in pan;
    place in oven for 10 mins
    remove, voila, cooked, moist, fish ready to eat.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Another one from my mom: brown pork chops in a skillet, then pour in cream of mushroom soup and simmer for 10-15 mins. Done, chops and sauce/gravy!!

Wenders and Splendid Splinter like this.
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We do duck fat chicken thighs as an easy go to. Skin on bone in thighs, kosher salt and duck fat in a Pyrex dish at 450 until golden. That’s it and it tastes awesome.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Easy yummy pasta recipe:

Dump into a skillet a can of petite diced tomatoes. Reduce down for 10 min with some spices (basil, Italian seasoning, oregano, minced garlic, a little S&P). Pour in a cup of rotini and a cup of water. Cover until the water is all soaked up and the pasta is done. Pour into bowl.

(This is my go-to lazy meal for my solo self.)

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My lazy weekend lunch

Preheat oven to 435 (my trick is to put a baking sheet with foil in there as it preheats YMMV)
    As oven heats, get two small(ish) russets and cut them into about half-inch cubes (perfection isn't necessary). Put in a bowl and add pepper, garlic salt, oregano and curry powder or cumin. Just eyeball it. Enough to give the potatoes a good cover. Mix well.

Then add about one and a half to two tablespoons of vegetable oil (again, enough to give the potatoes a light coating) and a few shakes of worcestershire sauce. Toss to combine.

When oven is heated, spread potatoes onto the sheet and bake for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, add frozen popcorn chicken (give potatoes a little stir) and return to the oven for 25 minutes. Add more time if you like things crispier. Serve with a few more dashes of worcestershire or other desired sauce toppings.

Depending on how hungry you are, this can be increased or decreased in size and cooking adjusted. You can even cut potatoes larger if you don't want them so crunchy.

11. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

For actually making something - pasta, olive oil, chilli flakes, Parmesan. Maybe add some oregano as well. The good canned tuna in oil can be added too.

For not really cooking, cheap ramen with added leftover chicken or beef, fresh broccoli and frozen vegetables works. Top with sriracha.

Store bought gnocchi with store bought red pesto works well in a pinch, and it can be combined with beef, chicken or sausage.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Super Easy Pasta (I use goat cheese instead of feta usually)

Ingredients

· 1 lb bowtie pasta
    · 1/2 cup olive oil + more for finishing
    · 2 boxes cherry tomatoes (around 20-25 oz)
    · 1 block feta about 8 oz
    · 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
    · a few pinches red pepper flakes
    · 1 handful fresh basil leaves
    · salt and pepper

Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 400. Add olive oil to a baking dish and toss with whole cherry tomatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper until everything is coated.
    2. Add the feta in the middle and top with a splash more of olive oil plus a few cranks of fresh pepper. Bake for 35 minutes.
    3. Meanwhile, prepare bowtie pasta according to directions then strain.
    4. Remove the baking dish from the oven and stir. .
    5. Toss in the pasta and stir one more time. Finish with fresh basil, another splash of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Draft saved Draft deleted