1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Go play intramurals, brother"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FishHack76, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I finally heard it this morning as I woke up on a sports talk radio show. Freaking hilarious, brother.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I think the point (and I could be wrong) is that sure it's not a well-kept secret that coaches know who attends "voluntary" workouts. But by NCAA rules they aren't supposed to be there and know who is because attendance isn't supposed to be taken. If Hawkins is talking about who was or wasn't there he's openly saying that he either was present at the workout or that attendance was taken -- either way, it'd be a violation of NCAA rules.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

Dennis Green says that they should just crown Hawkins' ass.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Tommy LaSorda just called. Said "Anonymous parents? How could you ask him a fuckin' question like that? How do you think I feel about anonymous parents?"

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That might be the most entertaining thing I've heard from a coach in the past year, but the more I think about this, the more I think Hawkins may have just landed the Buffs back under investigation.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Most of these kids are on campus going to school in June and July so it's not like they have the summer off anyway. It's a shame the parent didn't have the balls to sign the letter so Hawkins could have broadcast his/her name to the world.

Shut the fuck up mom and dad. Yet another example of the high school parent disease seeping into college. How long until it reaches pro sports?

7. busuncle

busuncle Member

The ship has sailed long ago on "voluntary workouts" and the NCAA is past the point of doing anything about it, or really caring.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I understand that, but then again, isn't Colorado already on probation?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

These are college kids. Someone's sons. Most are hundreds or thousands of miles away from home. Not all the families are well off.

So, yeah, it's really a shame that these whiny-ass parents would like to see their kids a time or two in the five years they are going to school.

10. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Is there really this much shock and outrage over "voluntary" workouts? What do you people cover, cricket?

I'm not saying the workouts are a good thing, but c'mon this can't really be a outrage-inducing surprise can it?

Back on topic, Hawkins' tirade is classic. Might be better than Iverson's "Practice" rant and Mora's "Playoffs?" Too early to tell.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not outrageous. Just countering the cheers for Hawkins and rasberries for parents who have a legitimate gripe.

Hawkins' stance is directly against NCAA rules, whether anyone cares about them or not.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

These not-so-well off parents don't have a problem sending junior halfway across the country to go to school if it'll get 'em into the NFL and mommy and daddy won't have to work again. I have a hard time sympathizing with the parent in this case, sorry. If you want to see junior make him go to school closer to home.

Draft saved Draft deleted