1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go F**K yourself, 2008

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I literally LOL'd at that.

And now I'm figuratively doing it - LOL - see?! :D

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

what a lovely way to say hi, 2009

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

BYH,

I know how cancer is, and it's terrible. May your mother feel better soon and not ahve to deal with the shit my grandparents did.

JakeandElwood.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

BYH: My best to you and yours as we forge onward.

Here's to a better year, bud...

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

BYH, you're in my prayers.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

BYH, man, that sucks.

I'm thinking about you. Hang in there.

All I kept hearing people say at the bar I was at last night was, "Well, fuck, at least that year's over with. This next one has to be better, right?"

I'm with you. Fuck 2008 with a rusty chainsaw.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

BYH, my thoughts and prayers are with you for 2009 to turn out much better. Sometimes things look particularly dark and you see no hope. Do not give in to the negativity. Find the positives, whether it's just a brief moment you can make your mother's day a little better. Maybe it'll be something you say that makes her smile. Maybe it's just something nice you do for her today or tomorrow or next week. There is time left to keep making good memories. Hopefully it's years and years. Be with her through the battle, be with her through as much of it as you can be. Maybe even find it in yourself to pray with her. I'm betting she'll really love that. Meanwhile, also make sure you take care of yourself. Life happens, illnesses also happen. Do not let bitterness ruin the time you have with her and do not let bitterness ruin you. Anything you need, don't be afraid to ask. I'll do whatever I can. For now I offer my prayers and best thoughts.

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

BYH: Cancer is always a formidable foe, but it's beatable. Everyone keep their chin up.

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

BYH ....

This might be cliche and it might be stealing, but it's the best advice I can offer (excerpt pasted below) because Valvano's speech is one I frequently go back to read and watch on youtube, as it gives me inspiration and strength.

Also, I've learned good friends and family are there for us to lean on and we don't lean on each other as often as we should. Be sure to reach out to those who care. And there is more who care about us than we will ever know.

<a href=http://www.jimmyv.org/remembering-jim/espy-awards-speech.html>Jim Valvano speech</a>:
    "I just got one last thing, I urge all of you, all of you, to enjoy your life, the precious moments you have. To spend each day with some laughter and some thought, to get you're emotions going. To be enthusiastic every day and as Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Nothing great could be accomplished without enthusiasm," to keep your dreams alive in spite of problems whatever you have. The ability to be able to work hard for your dreams to come true, to become a reality."

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Damn BYH, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I hope this makes you feel better -- my mom was diagnosed with cancer in late 2007. Part of me thought that Christmas was going to be my last with her. But then, just yesterday, my mom calls from the doctor's office. She no longer needs chemo.

To borrow a line from another thread, miracle can and do win. Here's hoping they start a long winning streak for your family in 2009.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

BYH:

That was a tough post to read. I'll be praying for your mom and for you--just be there for her as much as you can.

I know I don't know you at all, but please let me know if there's anything I can do. Hang in there.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

BYH:

As a unit, my family confronted those same questions a few years ago.

And yeah, I think it's easy to question faith when someone who has devoted themselves to religion ends up stricken in this way. The easy answer is "Well, that's just beelzebub testing us so we turn from God."

The hard answer is: Take care of your mom, be with her, and do what you can to help her healing process and push that 10 percent. Whatever one's religious beliefes, I've seen miracles happen when a dire diagnosis is rendered moot by the strong will of a family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.