1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go F**K yourself, 2008

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

So sorry, BYH. That is so, so rough.

My dad died this year, after being sick for many months. I'm counting the deaths of friend's family members on 4 hands now. My best friend had a miscarriage. Another close friend's husband lost his job just as they were getting back on their feet after his previous job loss...I could go on but I'm already bummed out.

2008 can't end soon enough, but I'm afraid the badness is going to seep into 2009 and beyond.

Losing my dad was the thing I feared most in life. Now I fear that I will never get over or get used to him being gone.

Go fuck yourself, 2008 indeed.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

By the way. As far as your Mom goes, I'm not overtly religious, but I do honestly believe that a person who has lived their life like your mom has lived hers, she'll have plenty of happy times ahead of her, in the next world if not this one.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

So sorry, BYH.

Monday we went to the funeral for my wife's cousin's wife. She was 42 and left a 2-year-old and a husband she had married only three years ago. I met her only twice and she seemed nice -- anyway, the church was packed, so a lot of people liked her. She did lots of volunteer stuff, etc.

As you're trying to do now, the priest tried to make some sense of it for people. I remember that I thought it was pretty weak, and I have nothing against priests as I am not Catholic and they hold no power over me. And two days later, I can't remember a word of it. That's how good the explanation was.

But I have a feeling that even if I understood the real reason why this stuff happens, I wouldn't agree with it. Probably most of us who believe in God feel uncomfortable being in disagreement with him, but I think your feelings are probably normal considering the circumstances. I've been known to take a couple weeks off from prayer when I know I'm not in a suitable mood to be communicating with the almighty. But I always come back.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hang in there, homes. I know that doesn't say much but that's the best I got. No magic wand, or I'd use it.

Of my bad years, I'm not sure where 2008 would rank with 1967 (Dad dying) and 1993 (Mom dying, other shit) - just behind those two, I'd suspect, because no humans died. My favorite dog did and I'm still bummed out beyond belief but I'm not about to put a dog in the same context as a human (even if I did like it more than most humans). And there was some good stuff in 2008. But overall? Eh.

Get in touch if you need anything BYH. Don't know what I can do but I'll die trying if need be.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There is never any justice when bad things happen to good people. You're one of the best, Beej, and my best wishes to you and your family. Keep your mom happy and cherish every moment you have with her. I hope, for your sake and hers, that 2009 sees better days.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

All I can add is a ditto and a reinforcement that you have many friends here, BYH. Call if you need.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

beej - you might tell me to go fuck myself for writing this, but i will any way:

your situation, while it sucks, is what you make of it for both you and your mother. i watched my older brother suddenly die when i was quite young. i never had the chance to tell him how much i loved him and how much i'd miss him or even say good bye. he was just gone.

tell your mother that you love her, and be her rock while she battles this. she can end up winning. also, walk away from this having learned something.

please don't let this turn you bitter because it will take years to recover.

we can't manipulate all the cards life deals us, but we can control how we play them.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

byh, damn. damn. damn. damn.

life does indeed suck. it's totally random. damn.

you've got many friends here eager to lend whatever support we can.

it's all we can do.

damn.

damn.

damn.

this i the best i've got.

damn.

my dad, the best man i've ever known, is 79. my mom, the best woman i've ever known, is 76 on jan. 18. i can't bear to think of life without them.

damn.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I just want to echo what others have said.....BYH, we're here for you, and we're thinking of you. Take care, and I wish you and your family the best of everything for 2009 and beyond.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Likewise, shockey. Likewise.

Beej, we've never met (that I know of), but you've still got a hug and a prayer coming from this neck of the woods. Stay strong.

11. JLaff

JLaff Guest

Damn, BYH. Hopefully 2009 is better for you and all of us. I also have similar feelings toward 08.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uh, why would he tell you to fuck yourself for offering solid advice?
    Unless, of course, he just wanted to do that anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.