1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go Black People! (Well, Black Coaches)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Hockey? Golf?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think we should accuse Lovie and Dungy of being Uncle Toms for winning with white quarterbacks...

As much as I hate this storyline, it's better than re-living Katrina for two weeks if the Saints had won...

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hear the beatles are going to make a whirlwind tour of the good old us of a chuck. meet you in new york.

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Tennis? Baseball?

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

It's easy to hate the storyline due to the rash of silly, over-the-top columns it will generate. But the fact is that it's a major accomplishment and it's a positive outcome for these two men to be the first because they will be able to handle the questions with dignity and fully appreciate the moment. Remember this is the league that was forced to employ a rule to force GMs and owners to interview minority candidates to shut down the good ol'boy network.

And in Dungy's case, he took a job that was considered to be a coaching dead end in football with Tampa Bay and with the help of Rich McKay, he built a competitor and carried a staff that has broken off to fill several head coaching jobs in the league (black and white coaches). With this victory and the potential to win a Super Bowl he becomes the standard for black coaches in professional football. I think he's now close to being on the list of coaches that will be considered for the Hall of Fame in due time.

Dealing with Dungy and to a lesser extent Smith while they were in Tampa I feel safe in saying that more than anything, it's a victory for professionalism.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You don't understand freedom of religion too well, do you?

Most liberals support people's right to their own religion.

The difference between libs and conservatives on this topic is, if he had credited the sun god or a wiccan priestess or Allah, that would have been OK with libs, too. It's his right.

Is this a difficult concept for you, Mouth Breather?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You got me, the #4,5 & 6(you forgot NASCAR, not really a sport?) most popular sports don't discriminate but the 3 most popular ones do, Basketball, football, & baseball. Progress?

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's a nice accomplishment for them to share, but as a football fan, I'd much rather see stories this week about the halftime adjustments Dungy made (6 points in the first half, 32 the second) and how he outcoached the genius than stories about his personal life, etc.

9. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Now we need TWO black quarterbacks in the Superbowl.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would settle for 4 white CB's.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not any number of stories wouldn't be overhyped because the Saints aren't there. It's the Super Bowl, you know.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What is this rhetorical "we" of which you speak?

Draft saved Draft deleted