1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go ahead and blow a gasket...I don't really care

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, May 12, 2010.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Easy there Hoss. All I'm suggesting is that he look two weeks ahead on the calendar, and when he sees a day like this coming -- even if he hadn't had a writer call out sick, this would have been a hell of a day -- let those above him that last-second stuff on that day is not reasonable and that if they want anything else out of him in the following day's paper, it's going to have to be done in advance. That's a way to head off the one last bit of stress that came with the day.

And please, do not construe this as criticism. It's not meant that way at all. I don't think and would not want to imply that this situation was his fault. It's management's job to know what's going on in their newsroom.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

FWIW, I wrote six bylined stories and laid out a full four-page, largely ad-free paper and a full two-page, entirely ad-free paper in about nine hours between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

Love those days though. They get the blood pumping. :)

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't, because quality suffers.

4. Fastball34

Fastball34 New Member

This is a great quote. Kudos to wise old man. It's incredibly true.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, Stitch is spot on. The days when I can focus on one or two stories, the pages are crisp, well-designed and edited thoroughly. The days when I have 4-5 bylines going, it gets rushed and is all about throwing info on the page...it leads to basic design and a typo or two always seems to find it's way through.

Unfortunately, the latter is becoming more normal nowadays. Ughh!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted