1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gnarls Barkley

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Aug 19, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I went to their MySpace page to check them out. Crazy is pretty good, but I really like Smiley Faces.....Hmm...time for some CD shopping.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Crazy" on the Billboard Hot 100 -- make it seven weeks and counting at No. 2, still stuck behind the sickening "London Bridge."

4. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

Leave it to Clubber to drop knowledge:

1. I describe Gnarles Barkley as disco-funk-soul-hop.

2. Gnarls Barkely is Cee-Lo and DJ Danger Mouse
    2A - Cee Lo is a member of rap group Goodie Mob, as originally stated. He also has two solo albums that are more on the soul side. Trivia: He was originally a member of Outkast, when it was supposed to be a trio. However, Goodie Mob started and he went with them and maintained a close alligiance to OutKast
    2B - Danger Mouse is a producer who sprang to national notoriety because of his "Grey Album" where he took the acapellas from Jay-Z's "Black Album" and make hip-hop beats by sampling The Beatles' White Album, put the two together .... and got a cease and desist. He has a few hip-hop projects, mainly DangerDoom, which is a collaboration with MF Doom (real good shit) and an album with a rapper named Gemini (pre-dates the Grey Album stuff). Most notably mainstream wise, Danger Mouse did some production on the last Gorillaz album.

3. Gnarles Barkley came after Cee-Lo made an appearence on the Danger Doom album, on a track called "Benzi Box" (I can put up an mp3 if anybody wants it). Danger and Cee-Lo clicked.

4. "Crazy" came out in like November of last year. Mufuckas is slow.

5. Clubber Slang is the truth.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Instead of the predictable cease-and-desist bullshit, why can't record and publishing company execs just sit back and say, "you know what, that sounds pretty good. Let's get behind this."

I mean, not that Paul, Ringo and Jay-Z (and John and George's estates) really need the money, but something like that would go flying off the shelves if it were to be approved and licensed, kinda like the remix of Elvis Presley's "A Little Less Conversation" did a couple of years ago.

6. Clubber_Slang

To Jay's credit, he encouraged the remixing, which is why we saw about 13,455 remix albums for the "Black Album" and nobody but the Beatles record company got mad. He knew what he was doing, which is he actually released the acapellas. Good marketing.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

and danger mouse is yet another uga grad

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, that figures that Jay-Z would have his priorities straight (he is nailing Beyonce, after all). It also figures that McCartney and friends are more concerned about the $$$ than the art.

Um, Sir Macca? Didn't you famously say that you didn't care too much for money, money couldn't buy you love? Now you're about to learn the hard way that it also apparently can't buy you a good divorce lawyer. Or, maybe it can but you didn't want to spend enough to find out. Anyway, good luck with that.

9. Clubber_Slang

I think it was more that the record labels got pissed. I doubt Sir Paul cared that much.

Still, your tangent on Paul's current affairs are noted...

10. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

And one of the studio guys on the song, Ben Allen, is from Athens.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

wow you go away for a week and come back and find out that Moddy is now a rap fan .

What next - we find out that Moddy got caught "riddin dirty"

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Here's their typical concert rider:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0816062gnarls1.html

Gotta love the Magnum condoms. The No. 1 choice of musicians everywhere! :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted