1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gmail problems?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

No problems here.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Pidgin will put Google chat (and other Jabber-compliant chat programs), AIM, Yahoo!, MSN Messenger, and several others into an AIM-like interface (but without the ads). Saves you the trouble of leaving a browser tab open to Gmail all the time.

It used to be called Gaim, and the driver is the one the Adium developers grabbed for their Mac OS X product (it's open-source, so they can do that).

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've had some problems sending mail and refreshing pages this month, but I haven't been automatically logged out.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Eh. It's not the chat. I just like knowing when I get e-mails, and it's the only one that updates automatically on the tab.

5. gretchd

gretchd Member

I've had some problems with it sending e-mails, but chat's been fine today. I have, in the past, had problems with it appearing as though the other person logged out, but they say they hadn't, and that I had.

Weird.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Same here. In fact, I log out of chat but leave the tab open so I can see when I get new e-mails.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Google also has a Gmail Notifier that sits in your system tray and angrily berates nags you when you get e-mail.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I tried the notifier and found it annoying.

9. gretchd

gretchd Member

I love the notifier. It's like my e-mail checks itself.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

IHAG -- It keeps kicking me off my iPhone. I thought it was a specific phone glitch, but it just did it to me on my Mac. A little annoying, though it's been taking about 10 minutes to log off from the phone, more than enough time for me to check my e-mail and putter around.

Draft saved Draft deleted