1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gmail problem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 5, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Here's the thing: Post Office Protocol (aka POP3), the 'Net standard that allows e-mail programs to talk to e-mail servers.

I don't have to look at the Gmail WWW interface. I don't have to depend on Gmail's web server being up and running. Thunderbird logs in, gets the mail and logs out (and then Homer Simpson loudly announces, "The mail! The mail is here! Woo-oo!" :D ). I don't even have to read the mail right then. When I'm ready, it's already on my computer. And Gmail's the only mail provider giving away POP access for free.

Yeah, I also have an e-mail account with my broadband but I almost never use it. Gmail gives me everything I want (a permanent address, POP access and no bills).

I also agree with those who brought up Gmail's spam filtering. My Yahoo inbox looks like the inside of a Hormel plant, and my Hotmail inbox is worse than that.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Just as suddenly as my Gmail notifier went on the fritz and I stopped being able to log in, everything went back to normal today, on its own.

Weird.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I was having problems, too. JD. I think it's back to normal today for me, too.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I do the exact same thing. With Yahoo Mail.

Perhaps Yahoo added these features to compete with Gmail. All I know is I've had the same main email address for eight years now and Yahoo is better than ever. Space is almost unlimited. I must search for a specific, years-old email 10 times a day. It's come in incredibly handy. I've also sent gigantic files from one Yahoo acc't to another.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yahoo doesn't join the e-mail conversation into one e-mail chain. The yahoo mail interface is my least favorite.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Agreed.

I can email back and forth with someone 10-15 times and it will all be in one file on Gmail.

If I did that on Yahoo or Excite or hotmail, there would be 15 different files/emails in the inbox.

Draft saved Draft deleted