1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gmail problem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I (grudgingly) downloaded the Internet Explorer update. After I restarted my computer, my Gmail notifier wouldn't accept my password. I tried and tried, then went to the "I forgot my password" link. It sent my password to the address I used when I signed up for this Gmail account.

Problem: I have not used that Yahoo account since then, and it expired. So I can't retrieve the password. What sucks is I know my own password, but now I guess I can't get in regardless.

I don't see a "Contact Us" link anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Try this page. I think there is GMail help desk info for you.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6601&topic=1510

3. Johnny Dangerously

Thanks. It looks like most solutions refer back to the secondary e-mail address (which I no longer have), but after five days apparently I can reset my password. I am not sure I see how to do that, but I'll wait five days and hope nothing urgent is mailed to me in the interim.

Thanks again.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Someone explain to me: what is the love for Gmail? I have an address, I use it specifically for storing documents, large files, etc...but can't see the dazzle of the email. Am I missing something?

5. Johnny Dangerously

I can only speak for myself, but I got the account last year when I (temporarily) got rid of high-speed Internet at home in a crazy move to cut costs. Gmail enabled me to have access to all e-mail anywhere (which some other accounts did not offer) and much more storage room.

When I went back to high-speed at home, I kept the Gmail as a backup, and some people still only e-mail me at that address.

Now that I think of it, I have way too many e-mail addresses (including one I can't access right now). Life is complicated.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I like it because it keeps e-mails in a thread, which makes it easier to find the e-mail I am looking for (even if I send 30 e-mails back and forth with someone, it only takes up one line in my inbox). I also think it has the easiest search function for the mail, so if I can't remember who sent an e-mail to me, it is very easy to search by a unique word I remember being in the e-mail. I like the GMail chat where I can chat with my friends who are also gmail users. And like you, I like the storage space.

Someone told me that they knew a guy who used up all of his GMail invites on himself and then sent himself parts of his music collection. That way, he could listen to music no matter which computer he was using.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Word. For. Word.

8. fanboy

fanboy Member

I've also noticed that it's really good about nabbing spam. I don't think I've had more than a few a month get through, unlike Yahoo, where my inbox typically looks like the set of a Monty Python movie.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I used it to run my NCAA basketball tourney last year, don't think I've accessed it since April.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have a gmail account, but I don't really like the interface. I like to put email I want to save into folders and get them out of my inbox, but that's not an option with gmail. So instead of having just a few active emails and several folders with archived email, I have 160+ emails in my inbox. I don't really like that. I really only use that account for a few specific things and would use it more if I could make folders.

On the positive side, I can access it easily from my Blackberry. And it does do a good job of catching spam.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

There's an archive button. I don't know that it will let you separate it into folders (haven't tried) but I have archived stuff before. Gets it out of your inbox.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem to. It just takes it out of your inbox. If you want to look at your archived mail, you have to look at all your mail, not just what's in the archived file. I have some stuff archived, but I forgot about it, because it's hard to look at, since I have to see everything in the inbox, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted