1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GM UAW workers on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 24, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I shudder to think what happens to America if we can't get our General Motors cars.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/24/news/companies/gm_uaw_strikedeadline/index.htm?cnn=yes

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Which begs the question: How many illegal Mexicans does it take to build a car?

3. Thinking Man

Thinking Man Member

I'm not sure if the UAW gets it ... but the days of gravy train jobs for unskilled labor are over. GM, Ford and Chrysler are all really close to the brink, nothing like pushing them over the edge. If I were Mr. Gettlefinger, I would settle the damn contract before GM just decides to really slash its workforce and shutter plants. The UAW is cutting its own throat.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

For some communities if GM collapses, everything collapses.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe Michael Moore is advising the UAW?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There is an element of truth to this, but GM and Ford at least still are doing well overseas. They are not as close to going under as everyone seems to think.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

None. When they're in Mexico -- where the plants will soon be -- they'll be legal Mexicans.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

More than anything else, this is a cost-of-healthcare issue. Sad.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I guess we all should just bend over and take it from corporates. This country began its decline with - as has been pointed out by liberals here - Reagan busting the air traffic controllers union.

And yet liberals bitch about what the UAW is doing...once again, backing their words with opposite or no action.

Get ready America:
    Pauper society, pauper society, pauper society....

10. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Exactly, which is the case for Lordstown/The Mahoning Valley. They've threatened there before, with dire predictions if it ever happened.

This won't be pretty for that region.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I suppose that's the argument taking place in your head, but it's not on this thread.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I believe Thinking Man implied it.

Draft saved Draft deleted