1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GM to NASCAR: Gravy train's over boys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jul 16, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That, I would pay money and brave the six-hour, 50-mile trip to see.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How about a luxury division? Cadillac vs. Lincoln vs. Jaguar vs. BMW vs. Mercedes. When Ford ditched the Thunderbird in the late 90s there were some rumors that they might use the Lincoln Mark VIII temporarily. Being a luxury car geek, I would have loved to have seen that. NASCAR with a fake spare tire hump.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

They run some of the smaller BMW's in the British Touring Car Championship, but I like where you're going with this. What models would you have teams run?

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Toyota's entry into NASCAR offends the sensibilities of hard-core fans for no other reason than jingoistic sentiment. Of course, any reasonable person with intelligence knows that Toyota and Honda have been making superior consumer products for two decades. If they end up dominating the sport, the NASCAR fan meltdown would be highly entertaining because it would force them to re-examine their xenophobic tendencies.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed. I root for Toyota for the same reason I root for Jeff Gordon: they both piss off the dumbest faction of NASCAR fans.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Christ, I didnt expect someone to actually consider this idea worthy. Shit, I dunno . I guess you could have the Cadillac CTS compete in a division with the Mercedes C-Class, the BMW 3 and the Lincoln MKZ. Then you could have a mid-size with the STS, vs. 5 series BMW + Mercedes E...No idea what Lincoln would run.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You might be able to get the Aston Martin DB9 in the first group as well.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yeah, because there's NO Tony Stewart or Denny Hamlin fans. And call me crazy, but I bet it's not the Toyota that makes people hate Kyle Busch.

Fail troll is fail

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Man, I don't see what people's problem with Kyle Busch is. He seems like such a nice, self-effacing young chap.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I know, right? Just can't get a break.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Paging Jean Girard ...

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This sounds suspiciously like SCCA World Challenge.

Draft saved Draft deleted