1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GM to NASCAR: Gravy train's over boys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

http://blog.al.com/blogoftomorrow/2008/07/gm_to_slash_its_spending_on_mo.html

Maybe the Belgians will buy it out and keep us all afloat.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

No worries. Pres. Bush rescinded the ban on offshore drilling yesterday.

By next week, the price of gas will actually be in the negatives (They'll be paying you to fill up!), and people will go back to buying F-150s for the 1/2-mil trip to Krogers. GM sales will go up, and the money will return.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

"The No. 6 Google Hyundai was runnin' good today. We just had some bad luck out there, especially when the Barack Obama Smart Car come up out of his line on Turn 3 and hit me."

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Effin' brilliant.

Meanwhile, how is this surprising to anyone?

Frankly, I'm amazed it took GM this long to decide that with a stock price in single digits, plant-closing announcements every week and a cash-burn rate of $1 billion a month that's requiring the arrangement of credit lines that perhaps NASCAR isn't a sacred cow.

5. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

If GM jumps, who is next? Chrysler? I don't see Ford pulling the plug as quickly.

More importantly, who do the top teams align themselves with if GM pulls out? A lot of teams (Hendrick, Childress, DEI for starters) will be affected.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. John

John Well-Known Member

They should use the Adobe from the old SNL skit. After a crash you just sculpt it back into shape.

[​IMG]

“German engineering and Mexican know-how helped create the first car to break the $200 barrier.”

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

IndyCar is looking better and better by the day.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Seems like a big deal to me. I wonder if the NASCAR press will bury this one as effectively as they ignored the $225M lawsuit.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Next on the chopping block: golf, when a lot of title sponsorships run out in 2010. Hard to justify paying $6 mill a year for four years (standard PGA Tour title sponsorship deal) when you're laying off people. And Buick (GM) is the title sponsor for three Tour events. How long will that last?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Can Ford cut ties with the Detroit Lions? [/michigansj]

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Can't wait until Toyota and Honda are dominating NASCAR. Hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted