1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GM flies 500 to Phoenix and puts them up at golf resort & spa

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jersey_Guy, May 7, 2009.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's almost like a lowest common denominator way of thinking anymore. "We get treated like shit at our jobs so these people should be treated like shit too!"

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Re: GM flies 500 Phoenix and puts them up at golf resort & spa

If this bird rises from the ashes, start another fire.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Who is Angry? Certainly not me.

I mean, I'm not the guy screaming and yelling and whining about companies "spending our tax dollars" to do things which are considered normal business practices.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Let me clarify: if they make money on this deal, great.

That's a $250 a night resort. They have 500 guests staying for 2 nights apiece. That's $250,000.

Add in airfare -- quite likely another $250,000.

Gotta feed them and add in other organizational costs. We're looking at probably a minimum of $600,000 or $700,000 for this, based on what we know.

Is GM really selling enough cars at this thing -- that it wouldn't have sold to these repeat customers anyway -- to pay for the cost? I'm guessing the answer is no.

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Here's an idea: Make better cars than the competition! Then maybe you want have to kiss ass to make a sale.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You will virtually always have to kiss ass to make a sale, unless you are competing solely on price.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And your guess is based on?

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Because that's a whole hell of a lot of cars to sell based solely on a trip to a resort.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's not a linear trip:sales ratio. It's about building up a relationship with customers.

It's no different than newspaper advertisers. Go ask the ad people in your shop if they can honestly tell a customer that one ad in one edition is going to draw in enough sales to pay for the ad. Probably not. But enough ads over enough time will drum up business.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yeah, you still do.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Here's one way to make sure these bailed out companies eventually fail:

Make them justify to the public every single decision they make in running their business.

Draft saved Draft deleted