1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GM/Chrysler merger to be announced next week...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Oct 31, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I wouldn't post this on here if I didn't trust this person...

Anyway, a friend of mine in the auto industry says the merger between Chrysler and GM has been finalized and will be announced next week (probably at 10 p.m. Tuesday night just to fuck with copy editors across America).

Most updated article says a merger could cost 35,000 jobs right off the top. That's not including all the lost jobs from third party suppliers and other jobs around the state that revolve around the industry. This could be very bad.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081031/OPINION01/810310334

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The third party job cuts have already started. Arvin Meritor, an auto parts supplier based in Troy, Mich., is cutting 1,250 jobs. 450 salaried and 800 hourly.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

when does this move from a recession to something much worse?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, it's on track . . .

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When the Michigan land literally sinks into the Great Lakes.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My father, who runs a large Dodge dealership, said earlier this week the merger would happen.

He thinks you'll see a lot of consolidation of dealerships as well. And that means more layoffs as the employees of the Chrysler dealerships lose jobs when the brands are being parked at the GM dealerships.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

[blue]So does that mean I have to start paying my car payment to GM now? I'm so confused[/blue]

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wonder what happens to the nameplates? Oldsmobile and Plymouth have shuffled off the mortal coil already. Maybe Chrysler bites it, and all the non-Jeep models that survive are sold under the Dodge banner?

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Don't be surprised if Jeep is the only nameplate that makes the cut. If this even happens, of course.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They'll keep Jeep and Dodge. And Mopar. They'd be foolish to ditch Mopar.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Dodge wouldn't really fit; it duplicates a lot of what GM already has. Not really sure how Mopar would fit, either.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted