1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

glossy mag vs. newsprint tab

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Jan 12, 2012.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and by the way, we'll be looking for good freelance writers, photographers and copy editors so drop me a private message if you want me to keep you informed. i can't give too many specifics on here right now because we still need to tie up some loose ends with trademarks, web domains and other legalities but i'll tell more when i can.

and most important, i don't expect anyone to work for free.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Do you have competition in the niche you're targeting? If you do, you may want to take the opposite tack from your competition to give advertisers an alternative, and to differentiate yourself in the eyes of the readers.

3. txsportsscribe

there's a glossy mag that you can tell is a vanity publication and not done well at all, very amateurish design and writing. also a bad monthly newspaper. both cover about half our targeted audience.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I have saved a lot of links to articles over the years about starting various types of publishing enterprises. This is the most helpful I've seen on the topic of paper.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3065/is_v16/ai_5042656/

5. txsportsscribe

thanks for the link, frank. i'm in that same mode of research right now and it's frustrating at times culling the legitimate and useful articles from the great webosphere garbage

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Take a look at what Autoweek Magazine is doing lately...it's a hybrid slick newsprint that I bet saved them a bundle. The cover kind of blows (it's a slightly sturdier stock, and yet it always comes ripped) but the inside in particular shows off the car pix nicely.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Consider that depending on the stock of paper, glossy can cost 5-10 times that of newsprint. There are different stock for glossy, just like there are for newsprint. If you go with really low-quality gloss, it's not much better than high-quality newsprint.

8. aztarheel

aztarheel New Member

I'm an old newspaper guy but started my own company about 18 months ago. We're small but making a decent impact in our communities with a web site that has a daily feel and glossy magazines published 4-6 times a year (more feature oriented). It does cost a lot but it looks sweet to put a nice glossy publication in someones hands. Please keep posting about how things go for you...

Draft saved Draft deleted