1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gloria Steinem isn't dead and whines like a ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Geez, you two: why don't you take it to PM. And iron my shirt while you're at it.... ;D

2. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

Rev. Jackson isn't dead and whines like an uppity.......Nxxxxx.

Should I expect this thread title next time the Rev. gets an op-ed in the NY times?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Are you seriously comparing the term "bitch" with "uppity N-word?"

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's perfectly OK to not vote for Hillary and Obama on non-sexist or non-racist grounds. There are all kinds of stupid-ass reasons people vote or don't vote for someone -- how they dress, sense of humor, have-a-beer-with quotient, etc. I myself am not sure I'm wild about any of them (I'm probably closest to Kucinich, ideology-wise). And also, it's fine to appreciate the sexuality of other humans. How do you think we get more humans?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Now that Senator Clinton won the NH primary should we expect a column decrying racism in this country as the reason Obama didn't win?

6. heyabbott

I'd equate pussycat c.u.n.t with nigger more so than bitch. Bitch is the female equivalent of asshole or cocksucker.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Leave it to Abbott to be the only one racist and classless enough to actually post the entire word.

8. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

The racists just have to use a lot more words to say the same thing and not be ostracized. I guess sexism is easier.

9. heyabbott

Can't we all be old enough and mature not to be afraid of words?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's Christie Blatchford's piece in today's Globe. Blatchford isn't primarily a political writer--she is a general interest columnist at the paper and most recently returned from covering the war in Afghanistan from the Canadian perspective.

Blatchford was the hockey columnist for the Globe back in the 70's when she was in her 20's so I think she can speak about sexism and misogyny from first hand experience.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080109.wprimaryblatch09/BNStory/usElection2008

If she sticks to the script, she's an over-rehearsed ice maiden; if she departs from it and speaks emotionally, she's not fit to answer the big red phone. If she keeps her famously philandering husband on the sidelines, she's trying to distance herself; if she brings him into the campaign, she's riding on his reputation and his charisma. If he comes out swinging, as Mr. Clinton did late this week, attacking Mr. Obama, he's being unpresidential and henpecked; if he doesn't, it's because he's about to dump her.

The judgments about Ms. Clinton are rooted in her sex in a way that those about Mr. Obama aren't in his race - and that means they are peculiarly mean. Ask any female politician, TV anchor, or even lowly female print columnist. We all get 'em too, the comments about appearance, age, wardrobe, unattractiveness, weight. The men don't.

11. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

I will never surrender my knowledge of the power of words.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Can you be mature enough not to shield your bigotry behind the facade that they're only words?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.