1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gloria Steinem isn't dead and whines like a ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

A co-worker of Mr. Cougar's said that Obama wouldn't win because "America is too racist." I disagreed - America is a less racist country than it is a sexist country.

If you don't believe it, just look at the title and the first post of this thread.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Try some 2 percent, dude.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I drink 1, but had to settle for 2 last night. But I don't think that's the problem.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

She makes some decent points, but her observations aren't historically accurate. Yes, black men were given the vote before women, but in the South, it was soon taken away. And in many cases, black women were legally able to vote before men when women earned suffrage.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But, but ... the GOP is supposed to have all the racist/sexist foofs. Tell the Democrats to stop working our corners.

And posting the cheesecake pic did precious little to disprove the crux of Ms. Steinem's argument.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Which, of course, Diane Lane made ridiculously easy.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Steinem makes the point that if a woman had Obama's resume, she'd never be a serious candidate. But ask yourself this: Imagine a lawyer who worked for a middle-sized law firm in a small, Southern state. He gives up his career to do volunteer work while his wife has a prominent political job. She eventually becomes governor. Later, he then decides he'd like to get into electoral politics. He runs for senator in New York, a state where he never previously resided.

Would he be taken seriously?

Clinton has already been taken more seriously than Richardson, Biden and Dodd, all of whom had more experience than her (to say nothing of Kucinich, who has spent a lifetime in politics). So to jump up and down and stomp your feet because your experience (which is flimsy anyway) isn't being taken seriously, and then pin than on the fact that you're a women, seems odd.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And what does Diane Lane have to do with this thread? Is she running for political office? I must have missed that one.

Again, nothing quite like male insecurity.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Clinton was rated as one of the top 200 lawyers or something right before her hubby ran for President. It's not like she was just working for a "middle-sized law firm." She was really well-respected and relatively prominent within her profession.

I'm not saying I agree with the column or that I support Hil (I don't. I'm a Kucinich girl), for the record.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Hillary Clinton is not my candidate, though I will ultimately vote for whichever Democrat wins the nomination.

I agree with Cougargirl, America is a much more sexist country than it is a racist country. This election cycle has proven it. The closet misogynists have used the anti-Hillary "cause" as an excuse to come out of the woodwork and spew their garbage under the guise of "political speech." It makes me ill.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, shut up and go make us all some dinner.

:D

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Honey Nut Cheerios, coming right up! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.