1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Globe news columnist returns fire at mag

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, May 29, 2008.

1. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

I'm betting $50 it was an editor insertion.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Shoulda just gone with Tony Soprano then.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The simple act of responding to the column makes that mag relevant.

He lost by returning fire.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I guess Cullen gets no points for having had to leave the country for years after stories he wrote about Whitey Bulger & co., and the ensuing death threats. Guy's done his share of hard-hitting stuff.

And sorry, but for "Gonzo" to hide behind anonymous slam-jobs is chicken-shit. This is not the Pentagon papers he's protecting.

But I, too, stumbled on the DeNunzio thing, and given all the ink he's gotten lately in that town, I'd think most Globe readers would know who he is. Smells of an editor insert.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Overall, I thought the mag piece was quite complimentary of Cullen's reporting.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I find Cullen an upgrade on Brian McGrory. Abraham has talent, but she's not exactly challenging herself.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed. It was critical of his column work, but not of his reporting. And it suggested he was a natural fit for the role.

Cullen's response is ill, ill, ill-considered.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I notice that in almost every large city I visit, there is either a monthly city magazine or a weekly artsy/craftsy Village Voice wannabe. Almost every single one of them regularly takes potshots at the daily paper. The writers taking the shots probably never were good enough to work for the daily paper, which might explain their motivation. I know it's the case in the weekly publication in our town. We get hammered all the time, and by reporters who would have washed out in our obits or zone editions.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Does this mean they sit by the harbor watching the ships?

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Not being able to make things up anymore does throw a wrench in a journalist's otherwise well-planned workday.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Beats watching this lame tussle.
    "You suck."
    "No, I do not, I do the best job I know how!"

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Outsiders, looking in . . . for some (Simmons), conversion of that anger into something that pleases/satisfies a meaningful audience is possible -- but it ain't easy.

Draft saved Draft deleted