1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Globe hire for Pats beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Nope. Covering Mike Greenwell.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cool. I was reading it as an Ohio State fan vs. a Florida fan.

3. Are you being serious here? I don't see the sarcasm font anywhere, so I'll assume you are.

If this is true that Belichick wrote Breer a letter of recommendation, how can Breer objectively cover him? How? We're not talking about a rooting interest in the laundry of some team, we're talking about something personal at stake-a livelihood.

Breer should know better than to ask for such a letter, but more importantly, the Globe should never have considered him for the job. What does Belichick know about writing on deadline, aggregating sources and everything else that goes into the job? And why wouldn't the Globe think Breer would be in Belichick's pocket? Sure, maybe he'd be able to ring Bill up day or night for an occasional scoop, but what about the next time something Spygate-ish happens? Can Breer be trusted to go the extra mile in getting the whole story. Maybe he would, but you can't guarantee that.

See ya.

4. Board Stiff

Board Stiff Member

Had an SE years ago who was practically giddy because a candidate from Georgia had Vince Dooley as a reference.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cross threading here, didn't Bisher used to ask Dooley about the student paper writers? The one's that Dooley ripped were the one's Bisher hired.
    So goes the legend anyway.

6. Mediator

Mediator Member

The stoyr of the letter, which someone claims to have seen, would be unethical if true. Not only is it a coach, but it's the coach of the team he is hired to cover. That's just crazy. I can't believe the Globe would go along with such a conflict of interest.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Depends if there were crisp sawbucks in the envelope or not.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Similar to the "You never played the game" I'm thinking of the fact that I can't memorize lines or make facial expressions or anything else, but I know a mediocre actor/actress when I see one. And I can call them that, too, on an internet message board or elsewhere.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Similar to taking a cheap shot at a kid. Mediocre or not, many of those grumbling are upset that they didn't get the gig. And there's a pretty good chance that those taking swipes at him on an anonymous message board will break their necks to say hello to him. Gimme a break.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

If you read the original post about the letter, it was the Dallas Morning News that allegedly received the Belichick recommendation, not the Globe.

And yes, the DMN hired him. He lasted about five or six months (that's an estimate off the top of my head -- it was less than a season) before jumping to the Sporting News.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Michael: Who did he work for in Boston? The Herald?

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He worked for the MetroWest Daily News when CNC was owned by the Herald and later had a content-sharing agreement with the Herald, hence his byline ended up in the Herald a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted