1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Globe hire for Pats beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 13, 2009.

1. I don't think that's fair to Dick. Someone getting hired at the Boston Globe is open to fair scrutiny (and I've personally never heard of the guy so no dog in this fight).

To me, your criticism of Dick is the first cousin of, "You never played the game," which we're all in agreement is a ridiculous slam of sports journalists.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I disagree. Dick is using a phony name and he slams a guy whose by-line is out there for the world to see. I look at it as a cheap shot at a guy who just got a new gig. Someone had to get it and it was him. Be happy.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am not sure that most coaches -- particularly ones with a prickly attitude toward the media -- would really have a handle on professionalism and integrity with regards to the media.

If I were the boss reading that, I would tend to think it means that the writer does what he is told/asked by the coach and doesn't give him any trouble.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hope you're right, Drip. If it is Dick Butkus, he may kick your butkus.

But I agree that anonymous general bashing of someone is distasteful. If you have a specific beef (like the alleged letter of recommendation) fine.

Otherwise, it does sound like sour grapes.

5. I think your criticism is fair - what, specifically, does Dick not like about the guy's work to call him "mediocre"?

But I think that's different than, "Oh, yeah? I bet he's better than you!"

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The only interaction I've had with him was right before the Ohio State-Florida championship football game. He was going on and on (and on and on and on and on, because he wouldn't shut up) in the press box about how badly OSU was going to win the game. That always made me laugh.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you guys are fanbois then?

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Not familiar with the term.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fans of particular teams, as opposed to an objective reporter.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Another instance in which sarcasm was lost through a post. If you find me a sports journalist who claims he or she is in no way, shape or form a fan of some team (not the one they cover), I'll show you a liar.

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Not to mention that the guy signed up for the site and used his first post to rip someone. Pretty weak.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Your name is Gator. Were you covering the Gators?

Draft saved Draft deleted