1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Globe hire for Pats beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Can't find the original on this one. From The Pipeline:

Boston Globe has hired Albert Breer to cover the Pats. It's done.

Breer was with The Sporting News, I'm pretty sure, before this move. Not sure of his history before that.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

IIRC, he was on the Pats beat for another Bostonish paper before going on to the DMN.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He was one of four covering NFL for The Sporting News, I have since learned.

4. dickbutkus

dickbutkus New Member

Know him. Have read him (as a Pats fan). Don't like him.

Severe downgrade from what they had in Reiss. Mediocre writer at best.

5. apseloser

apseloser Member

Loser agrees with the NFL's best middle linebacker: Globe could have done a lot better than this one.

6. gosox

gosox New Member

Yeah, Bert's a solid blogger and belichick supposedly likes him a lot (rumor has it the guy wrote his letter of recommendation for the DMN job). But Ive never been impressed with his writing at all. Still cant believe Karen Guregian declined the globe's offer.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Wrote his recommendation? Damn. What the hell does a coach say in a letter of recommendation? "He was fair on us," maybe? Moreso, why would the hiring newspaper want to see a recommendation from a head coach? Yikes. That's mind-boggling.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'd sure want to know more about that 'rumor' before I'd believe it.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

These days that's more and more common. I know of college coaches calling (or having someone call on their behalf) editors of papers and recommending certain writers.

Nick Saban recently (last couple years) tried and failed to do it with one of the Dolphins beat writer openings. I won't say the writer's name, but I'm sure plenty of people on here know who he is.

10. apseloser

apseloser Member

I've seen the letter. It's true. Belichick talks up his professionalism and knowledge of football.

I'd be ashamed to ask a coach for a letter of recommendation. Isn't that a bad sign, if the coach likes you enough to write one on your behalf?

TSN will be better off.

11. Can you spell C-O-N-F-L-I-C-T O-F I-N-T-E-R-E-S-T
    Jeez that's pathetic if it's true.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't know Albert. Thought he was a pretty good reporter when he was in Boston. Getting a letter of recommendation from a coach (and unlike many, I respect and even sort of like Belichick) makes my skin crawl.

Draft saved Draft deleted