1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Globe and Mail reports that NHL may be loaning money to Phoenix Coyotes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It makes you wonder if Bernard Madoff would have tipped off authorities sooner to what he was doing had he bought an NHL franchise.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree about Winnipeg, but if you can't see the difference between the pittsburgh and Ottawa markets and Phoenix I think you're crazy

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not quite sure what that means.

Pittsburgh and Ottawa had failing owners, the NHL got involved, and now both franchises are in much better shape.

Phoenix has a failing owner and now the league is getting involved. That's the extent of the comparison I made.

Phoenix has the advantage of a much bigger metro area and a much better arena than Pittsburgh. I don't see any particularly compelling reason why it could work in Pittsburgh and not Phoenix.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh and Ottawa have a base of fans who love hockey. Phoenix has 4 tickets for 80 dollars which includes parking, a hot dog and drink. Junior hockey is more expensive in both Canada and the US

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Are the hot dogs good?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

as good as lips and assholes can be.

7. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Kansas City? Winnipeg? Vegas?

How about Paul Allen on the white courtesy phone, please? We'd like to relocate the Coyotes to Portland in your hockey-ready facility.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

My motto for dating in college.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and a great motto it is

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Seemed as good a place as any to post this...

Glendale has quietly been letting the Coyotes play without paying the rent, worth up to $4 million. So quietly, no one ever told the city council. They're not happy.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2009/02/24/20090224spt-coyotesglendale.html

One amusing side note to this - 12 News is KPNX, the Gannett-owned TV station here. The Glendale spokeswoman who is refusing to make the city manager available for an interview happens to be a former Executive Producer at KPNX.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

see, this guy was just on a relocation scouting trip

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The team's never won a playoff series in more than 10 years in Arizona. You can't judge whether a market's suitable for the NHL (or any league) if the team has been crap for more than a decade.

Draft saved Draft deleted