1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Globe and Mail reports that NHL may be loaning money to Phoenix Coyotes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Two rinks instead of one. Still located in a city where the residents don't care about hockey.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If it was that great a move for the league, eager suitors would be lining up to bid on the franchise and the league wouldn't have to buy it.

This is simply proof of the fact the repetitive sports radio squawking point over "contraction" is, as I've said again and again, complete bullshit -- leagues will buy back the franchises before allowing them to fold up.

Because once teams in a league start folding, the franchise-appreciation bubble pops and the value of every franchise in the league takes a huge dump.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

was the blue font necessary?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the Devils were in that bad of a shape.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. We haven't seen a franchise fold in the modern era to be able to see what happens.

An alternate view is that the value of say, the Calgary Flames, is based on its own revenue generating potential on its own merit and is not at all affected by whether or not the New Jersey Devils exist.

Another one is that the value of franchises increases when there are fewer of them, particularly when the team that disappears had losses that had to be absorbed by the other 29, and also when that team was a revenue sharing recipient.

Personally, I'd love to see what would happen with a 24-team NHL. I know it won't ever happen though.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That got kicked around in baseball some years back. People were talking about teams like the Twins and A's getting contracted. Glad it didn't happen.

I think the league just needs to stand pat and grow the franchises it has. No expansion, no contraction, relocation only as an absolute last resort.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So just to put a bow on it, the Coyotes are not moving to Elk Boner?

Draft saved Draft deleted