1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Globe and Mail redesign today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedCanuck, Apr 23, 2007.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

NEWSPAPERS! blogs are going to be put out of business! NEWSPAPERS!

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Looks an awful lot like The Guardian, mostly the weird spacing between the heds and stories.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You keep capitalizing words, and I'm just going to have to get out of this business...

4. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I don't like the font on the heds, for some reason. Too rounded or something (not to mention the biggest one is too short for the space).

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I also don't like how the bottom stories are tombstoned. Doesn't work with those big rules.

6. carrie

carrie Active Member

Actually, apart from the similarity in typography and centerpiece structure, it looks nothing like the Guardian.
    The Guardian is clean and very metered.
    This is very clunky and cluttered.

I have a feeling they'll thin out those thick rules before too long ...

7. I've always been a big Globe fan who wouldn't be any more or less likely to read it with the new design, but what was wrong with the Globe in the first place? I always liked the way it looked -- kind of handsome. Why do we have to fix stuff that doesn't seem to be broken?

8. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Because the consultants and focus groups have to pay for themselves, thus justifying the jobs of upper management!

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jeebus Chrysler... that is a f-ing long explanation of a redesign.

10. From the terribly long redesign explanation...

"The secret that made the redesign possible lies in new typefaces custom-made for us: Globe and Mail Text, News and Sans. They are, at one and the same time, more efficient and more readable. This, in turn, has allowed us to trim the width of the paper to 12 inches, the same size as the new Wall Street Journal and the future size of The New York Times, without losing content on the page. The cost savings from shaving the margins have been plowed back into the product, primarily in adding Globe Life and hiring an additional 30 journalists for a variety of Web and paper functions."

It's a good thing whenever a newspaper adds 30 journalists to the staff.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

But you left out the part about design editors needing to justify their existence, too, with new fonts, formats, additional time-consuming changes and other ugly-ass components.

12. Yes, indeed. Christalmighty, no wonder people don't read newspapers anymore -- they can't recognize them because we're too busy making them look like something they haven't read or can't read.

Draft saved Draft deleted