1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global warming: So sayeth the shepherd...so sayeth the flock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by alleyallen, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only quote more timeless (get it?) is this one:

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Because you can't ignore me? Your condesending finger won't let you?

And as far as being greener, I have no problem with the scriptural references to care of the earth and what God gave us. Obviously we are a wasteful lot. But you don't want the world to do it, you want America to do it. China and India won't follow and there's a significant difference between good world stewardship and wrecking our way of life.

3. Oh, yawn, you are rarely so young.
    JPII appointed most, if not all, of the bishops involved in covering up the abuse. He -- and his lackeys in the Vatican press -- spent two years criticizing the American media for its anti-Catholic bias in reporting a conpiracy to commit child abuse and the subsequent conspiracy to obstruct justice. The Pope and his bureaucracy knuckled those honest priests who organized in various dioceses to protest what had been going on. The pope personally intervened so that complete horse's ass, Bernard Cardinal Law, could skate from Boston to a cushy sinecure inside the Vatican.
    He didn't speak out until the scandal was well into high tide.
    Not to be snarkty, but you seriously need to read up on this.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So do you fashion your own tinfoil hats or do you buy them online?

Zag, I applaud the churches for getting involved in the environmental movement. Good for the planet is good for all of us.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What else do you expect from Zag? At least I know he realizes how wrong he is this time. That's when he really digs in on the insults. When he knows he can't win the argument on substance. Those are the times we are reminded that he doesn't even believe his own bullshit.

Zag, the only cheap shots being taken here are by you. Then again, we are all used to your special brand of hypocrisy.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Almost no church anywhere has the moral authority to preach from the pulpit. However, they have granted themselves the position and there are people that follow. It is not that the church suddenly has the moral authority when it comes to Global Warming.

Sure, they couldn’t figure out that fucking young kids was a bad thing. But they aren’t so dense that they can’t see pollution as a problem.

The other aspect is that these are the churches that constantly push for candidates that preach against Global Warming. For them to finally take a step back far enough to think that gay people getting their groove on is now on a lower scale than Global Warming is a big deal.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's in examples like this where you really see how much the catholic church in the cover up. The pulpit is no longer what it once was.

8. Boom --
    One of those honest priests was my pastor, whom the archdiocese railroaded out a year or so later when nobody was looking.
    Fuckabuncha these red-beanied hypocrites.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

To be fair, about 98% of Delaware wouldn't be missed. Though the lack of sales tax is pretty good.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So by your line of reasoning, if China and India won't do it, why should we bother?
    Pardon me if I try to be a better person than that. And if doing so draws derision from you, well, I guess I can live with the eight-grade mentality that thinks it's awesome to attack a person who's trying to be better and help others do the same.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

So tell me Alley, what exactly are you doing? What kind of horse do you ride to work? Tell me exactly what you are doing for the polar bears.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

DAMMIT, YAWN, didn't you read my post on the first page?

If they won't do it, we shouldn't do it? Really? You think that's a good argument not to pollute?

Of course people believe that it's a good thing when the Church backs something they agree with. I don't understand why that bothers anyone. I don't agree with much of anything President Bush has done over the last seven years, but if he stands at a podium and encourages people to conserve energy, carpool more and recycle, then, yes, I'll believe he's doing the right thing. It is possible to support and/or agree with some things a person/organization does and not all of what they do.

I grew up Catholic and still believe in many of the principles of the Church. However, I rarely go to Church anymore and abhor the way they handled the molestation cases. I don't agree at all with their stances on abortion or birth control. But I do agree with their decision to acknowledge the potential hazards of global warming and their support of potential solutions.

The Catholic Church (or any church, really) is a powerful entity and when it encourages its followers to do things I agree with, then, yes, I support that. When it is implicit in its approval of things I don't agree with (such as sheltering child molesters), no, I don't support that.

Yes, you can have it both ways and I believe it's actually preferable for people to select stances they agree with and disagree with, rather than blindly agreeing with everything or nothing when it comes to things like politics or religion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.