1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Oil Reserves Tapped in Effort to Cut Cost at Pump

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes of course I meant $4 U.S. Perhaps I should have said the world can't abide $140 per barrel oil.

Most of the rest of the world isn't anywhere near as dependent on their cars as we are. Germany/England have rail systems, etc. Those nations are much, much smaller too, so you don't have the equivalent of interstate commerce, driving-based tourism on the same scale as the U.S., etc.

There is no "driving season" in Europe for example.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

But our hands are tied on most solutions because of the environmentalists.

4. Bubbler

The only way, shape or form I agree with that statement is when it comes to nuclear energy. The reality is that we need to utilize it. People are scared of it, but its fear based out of proportion to any kind of reality.

Other than that? You're just pulling out the usual strawmen.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You really can't compare a nation of our size, and that is as spread out as it is in part because of the automobile, with older, smaller nations in Europe.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Hell no, I'm also talking about refinery expansion.
    And nuclear energy proved a hell of a lot worse threat to Japan than oil has ever done. Unless of course, you're a seal. Any cause/consequence of oil disasters has been incompetence.

7. Bubbler

To have refinery expansion, you need more oil. There's only a finite amount of oil left in the long-term, the GOP wet dream of drilling every which where isn't going to fill the need. Even if it did, its putting a band-aid on a bullet wound as we need to ween ourselves off of oil at some point anyhow.

And Japan's crisis came about because of a one-in-a-million scenario combined with the fact that the dopes who ran the plant only had a one-day reserve of power to run the reactors in case of shutdown.

I think it's silly to completely rule out nuclear energy because of a freak occurrence.

Precisely my point.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's all Ike's fault.

Draft saved Draft deleted