1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Oil Reserves Tapped in Effort to Cut Cost at Pump

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"utter nonsense ! The price of oil is not driven by speculators" / Ragu

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Truest thing you've ever written....

3. Boom_70

$4 gas is good for the environment. Even if price of oil comes down, I think that the Fed should tax difference to keep price above $4.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Capitalism isn't guilty. A broad swath of douchnozzles are. Wish they'd done it in the spring.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Some of Obama's people think so, too. They're all full of it. One of the long-term foundations of a healthy North American economy is relatively cheap petrol; witness the Interstate Highway System. I'd love to live in midtown New York or downtown Chicago and not need a car, but not many upper-middles and above can swing it.

6. Boom_70

Many of the liberal elite loved the idea of $4 gas until they actually had to pay it.

Funny how the outcry's for fuel eco

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

From my 2 minutes of research, if the total from reserves to be released is 60 million barrels and the U.S. is providing half, and the U.S. uses about 19 million barrels a day, this sounds like the proverbial drop in the bucket.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I love how this Bloomberg story calls the move a "head-scratcher" because we have an "amply supplied market."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-23/-head-scratcher-petroleum-release-to-inflate-u-s-crude-glut.html

Yes, if speculators weren't using Adam Smith's invisible hand to jerk themselves off, prices would have come down a lot more. Supply isn't the point. I'm sure there is an explanation of how QE2 and pressure on the dollar contributed to the prices staying higher than it should. But whatever the reason, there's no doubt that high oil prices are choking any recovery. Things were going in the right direction until gas prices started shooting up in the spring, for no apparent reason.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It is a short-term solution. But again, it's not about supply. It's about surprising speculators running up the price.

10. Boom_70

In June some oil speculators were arrested for manipulation. Perhaps it was the flash point to Obama waking up on this.

http://www.cdtoa.org/news/1043-june-2011/1550-speculators-charged-with-manipulating-oil-market

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Don't forget Omar Vizquels...if you throw hand grenades anywhere near them they will scoop it up and throw it back. Great hands.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Giggle.

Draft saved Draft deleted