1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Oil Reserves Tapped in Effort to Cut Cost at Pump

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 23, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Political decision, economic necessity, or both?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing both. A middle finger to OPEC maybe?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If nothing else, yeah.

Something that would be interesting to know is what the cost of a gallon of gas was in relation to a barrel of oil during the last gas spike a few years ago. I'm probably wrong but gas prices seem a lot higher in relation to the ppb of oil now than it was back then.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wouldn't it be easier to just invade Venezuela? :D

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Think that Goldman Sachs has shorted oil futures and asked Obama to do this. ;)

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And face an army of batshit crazy Ozzie Guillens and Carlos Zambranos?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was thinking of invading by air strike. Bulldoze the bodies and harvest the oil. :D

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Gas prices in my hood have gone down from 4.09 to 3.53 in the past month. Whatever the reason, I hope they keep it up.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The history of government price interventions in various commodities suggests that governments can't stop prices from moving in a direction they don't like, but can speed up a direction they do like. So now that prices have begun to drop, Obama's giving them a nudge.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, and if speculators get a reminder every once in a while that the government has the ability to fuck up their trade and isn't afraid to use it, it might make folks think twice before they try to push the price too high.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I for one would personally go down there and take care of the beachhead, as long as I had a long-haried Spanish girl who didn't speak much English bring me drinks with little umbrellas in them.

Seriously, I met a guy who worked for an oil company and he said Venezuela is one of the most beautiful countries around.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Accoridng to this, a middle finger to speculators:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43510170/ns/business-going_green

I'm a die-hard Republican and captilist but I don't think capitalism envisioned the middle class and poor getting boffed in the ass with $4 gas because a bunch of yuppie assholes want to play Monopoly on our dime.

Draft saved Draft deleted