1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global economic meltdown, Part Deux: China?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 10, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Do you dispute the facts I referenced? And if so, on what basis do you dispute them?

2. RickStain

I'm not asking you to take their word for it. That's why they've cited real, actual numbers. And they cited their sources. Are the Federal Reserve and Bureau of Labor not credible either?

If not, would you like to cite any statistics showing those statistic to be incorrect? I'll accept any source that shows U.S. manufacturing actually going down in any significant way?

3. RickStain

That link doesn't say anything about Mexico or Asia.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You seem smart enough to understand that it's AEI's job to present a neo-conservative, pro-business case to the American public for the purpose of advancing a pro-business, neo-conservative agenda. It's what they do. Yet you sound like you've never heard of AEI and you don't think the source of your information is terribly important.

5. RickStain

[/img][​IMG]

We'll just keep throwing graphs out here till I find one you guys will accept.

Just to keep track of things, I think there's two separate disagreements going on. I assert the following two things:

1) The U.S. does not manufacture less, or even less as a percentage of GDP, than it ever has.

2) The bulk of manufacturing jobs were not lost to overseas suppliers, but to productivity gains. Employers realized they could make the same amount of stuff with fewer people.

Some people are disputing No. 1, some are disputing No. 2, some are disputing both. Most of the evidence I have submitted proves No. 1 unequivocally. No. 2 has had no evidence posted on either side.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. RickStain

Facts are facts regardless of who present them. If Ron Paul tomorrow said "The sky is blue," it doesn't suddenly make it turn orange.

Other than 2mcm, who didn't seem to realize that I'd already conceded that manufacturing jobs have plummeted, has attempted to present any sort of facts of his own.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Holy christ, it doesn't have to. It's such common knowledge that even your hacks at AEI would admit that one. Are you actually denying that we've lost a ton of textile jobs to Mexico and Asia?

8. RickStain

Yes. I want a link to actual statistics that proves where those jobs went.

That's the entire point. Lots of things are "well-known" that aren't true. It was "well-known" to a lot of people in this thread that the U.S. doesn't manufacture as much as it used to, but that's been proven false.

9. RickStain

I'm definitely skeptical of it, given that you've provided no data and it comes from the same people who "just knew" that our manufacturing output was down.

10. RickStain

Could you cite your link that shows why U.S. manufacturing data isn't really U.S. manufacturing data?

Even better, do you have any U.S. manufacturing output data of your own? I'd love to see it.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm only disputing whether you have a brain in your head after coming on this thread and presenting to us as fact an AEI report and then announcing that you're skeptical as to whether the U.S. has lost textile jobs. Maybe you're just misplacing your skepticism.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wait a minute...

we're being told that manufacturing in the united states is as strong as ever?

Draft saved Draft deleted