1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glenn Stout's SBNation venture - freelance opportunities

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been brought up here, but our very own Glenn Stout has a really interesting post today. He's starting up a project for SBNation and is looking for material. And...you'll be paid!

http://verbplow.blogspot.com/2012/07/help-wanted.html

Seems pretty exciting. I'm already thinking up ideas to send to Glenn (which he encourages in the post, so start brainstorming or putting together pieces).

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So does this mean you have to be a freelancer or can you send stuff in on spec even if you currently have a gig?

This could be a great opportunity to write those things that just wouldn't fit into a local paper due to space or content constraints. I'd highly encourage folks to use the opportunity to stretch themselves as writers.

3. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Exactly. If you currently have a gig and are available to write something that for any reason you cannot for your current shop, please consider this. I'd like to see a fully formed pitch - or close to it - more than "I'm a writer and want to write for you," but I understand that might require a conversation or some back and forth first. Keep in mind this is for a more national audience - not the more typical SBNation niches. As someone who got into the business going over the transom with zero experience, you don't have to have vast experience (although it helps), but be good and approach this like a pro.

Draft saved Draft deleted