1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glenn Beck: wanted man in NJ (at least in Asbury Park)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael Echan, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Well, this is one way to alienate an entire segment of your listening audience. Apparently on Thursday, Mr. Beck posited the opinion that Bruce Springsteen's hit "Born in the U.S.A." is anti-American, as is Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land" being unpatriotic.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/03/glenn_beck_calls_bruce_springs.html

Don't know about anyone else, but I felt a couple blown fuses in my head after reading & listening to that.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He's also recently said that churches that preach economic and social justice are preaching a false gospel. I guess Beck has a copy of that alternate New Testament where the money-changers in the temple get 40% bonuses and BMWs.

3. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

What a groundbreaking discovery.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I always laugh when a politician like Ronald Reagan would use "Born in the USA" to take the stage. Didn't his people realize the guy with the voice like a cat clawing at a scratching post was ripping everything their guy stood for? MINGYA!

5. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Glenn Beck<--->Keith Olbermann. For more useful entertainment, just tune in the cartoon channel. Bah.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Obviously, Mr. Beck feels that the Vietnam War and the Great Depression was a roaring success for the American people.

And someone needs to tell him that the Soviet bloc went away around ... 1992.

7. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

I remember in elementary school singing "This Land is Your Land" in music class, but it wasn't until I was in college when I learned that we weren't singing the whole song.

As I was walkin' - I saw a sign there
    And that sign said - no tress passin'
    But on the other side .... it didn't say nothin!
    Now that side was made for you and me!

In the squares of the city - In the shadow of the steeple
    Near the relief office - I see my people
    And some are grumblin' and some are wonderin'
    If this land's still made for you and me.

Guess what Glenn? It was a good protest song when this country still loved a good protest song.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Keep talking off the the top of your proxy-locked head, douche.

What a simpleton. A rich simpleton, but a simpleton, nonetheless.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I believe that he believes this junk. Because his definition of patriotism and "American" is agreeing with him. When in reality, the founding principles of this nation are the opposite - the pursuit of truth through the challenge of conflicting ideas and the value of dissent.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . right on the heels of his throwing the millions of adherents of compassionate
    Christianity under the bus.

Have fun kissing Mitt/Bain Group's ass,
    Glenny.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Although I don't really believe that he believes his own BS, that it's just a convenient big paycheck for him, what those who adhere to Beck don't get is that Born in the USA and This Land is Your Land are the ultimate in patriotic songs. They're saying there are things we can do to be a better America.

More interesting to me is that apparently, El Rushbo has said he's going to leave the country if health care passes this week. The question is, what country would take him? ::)

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rush says he'll go to Costa Rica, which has one of th oldest and most successful socialized health care systems in the world.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/286856

Fat, drug-addled douchebag!

Draft saved Draft deleted