1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glenn Beck question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is a big Glenn Beck fan. He's told me that if I actually watch his show and not just the clips that Jon Stewart and others use to make fun of him, I'd actually see that he makes sense and that he's right.
    Personally, I prefer to watch Jon Stewart make fun of him.
    I try to point out some things that Becks has said that are wrong and provide proof that he's wrong and my friend somehow seems to think whatever proof I provide is simply open to interpretation.
    "If he's lying or making stuff up," my friend said, "Fox News would fire him."
    I tend to think that's not true, but don't quite know how to respond to that.
    One example is the John Holdren/forced abortions claim. Politifact debunked that here:
    My friend said the evidence in the Politifact piece actually supported his position.
  2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is how is it possible that somebody could read the same evidence that Politifact (or Snopes or Factcheck for that matter) and come to an entirely different conclusion?
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think Beck is nuts. He's hysterical and a fear mongered.

But, if your job/life allows you to listen to him (are you available to listen to the radio while he's on?), why not take your friend up on the challenge and listen to him for a week?

Make up your own mind.

If you want to prove your friend wrong, it won't hurt to have some first hand knowledge.
  4. BYH

BYH Active Member

This will end, but not well.

YGBFKM Guest

It didn't start worth a shit.
  6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't you have some Beck podcasts to listen to, fascist? :D
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Glenn Beck is like the crazy homeless guy in the tinfoil hat shouting conspiracy theories on the street corner.
    Ninety-five percent of what he says is ridiculous nonsense that would sound far-fetched on Art Bell's broadcast. The other 5 percent has a kernel of truth in it or sounds just plausible enough that you go, "Hmmm..."
    If you listen or watch him for more than a day or two at a time, you pick up on the 95 percent thing. If you listen or watch once or twice a week, you might catch the 5 percent when he makes some sort of sense and think he's like that all the time.
  8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Hey, a broken clock is right twice a day. :)

Beck's a huckster making millions off an audience he's deluded into thinking he gives a shit about people like them ... while he laughs all the way to the bank.
  9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

A lot of conservatives can't stand Beck, or Breitbart, but you wouldn't know that from the lockstep conservative media.

He could flip to the left in five, 10 years and it wouldn't surprise me. I think it fits his frenetic personality. More likely, he's on the air with a gun to the head of a rabbit.
  10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Outing alert: Glenn Beck is Jesse Jackson.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

FWIW, Beck seemed to be a little more even-keeled when he was on Headline News. A little more down the center, critical of both sides, and maybe 25 percent of his crackpot rants made sense. Probably what made him a star, and what initially made me notice him.
    Since he's blown up on Fox News in the last year or two, he's just batshit crazy.
    Is it weird that it sounds like I just described Jim Jones?
  12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

When was Jim Jones on CNN?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.