1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glenn Beck pins blame for 9/11 attacks on Saudi Prince, News Corp. stakeholder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Actually, most conservatives think he's a joke too. Which explains the low turnout for an event he and FNC have been pimping for months.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Buzz Bissinger weighs in via Twitter

"The parallels between Beck and Hitler in the early days of Naziism frightening. Hitler was thought to be crackpot too.

But like Beck he had the power of rhetoric. He capitalized in a terrible economy just like Beck. they both smell the fear of the masses.

Beck like Hitler also had the backing of rich industrialists (the Koch brothers) supporting him for their own agenda.

Folks, read your history. Beck is egomaniac, but smart egomaniac like Hitler. As economy worsens he will only gain more followers.

The smart ass remarks are fine but that is exactly what the educated class in Germany said--he's just a nut. it will never last.

Is there going to be blood in the streets like Hitler? No. Is Beck going to invade other countries. No. But domestic goal is the same: reduce a large swath of the country into dust after relentlessly targeting them as God haters, unpatriotic, ruining American values.

Beck has now begin to believe he is the messiah and savior. And he has bully pulpit larger than Hitler time a thousand.

Why is Beck scary? because he disguised yesterday' s event as some religious revival as a way of gathering his masses."

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You really think it was a small turnout? I know he pimped the thing for months on his radio & TV shows, but it was still a lot of people.

He also didn't give or promise them red meat political stuff. And it wasn't promoted as a protest which may have drawn more folks.

It was closer to a Promise Keepers rally than anything else.

What's odd of course is that Beck isn't a preacher & he's not a born again. He's a Mormon -- a convert, no less. That alone would keep away a lot of Christians for a rally with such an overtly religious theme.

Actually, from the little bit I saw, the music & "voice of God" announcer reminded me of the Mormon "Passion Plays" I've seen clips of.

I half expected Beck to try to convert the entire throng to Mormonism & for a riot to break out.

Now, that would have been something.

Either way, the crowd was pretty big. There's no reason for him to be embarrassed by it's size. The pictures looked good.

If he had only drawn 30,000 and hadn't filled the reflecting pool area, it would have been a total failure, but he far exceeded that.

4. YankeeFan

Bissinger is more over the top with his comments than Beck.

I think we all know that when you reach for the Hilter card, it's out of desperation. And it was the first card Bissinger reached for.

Beck might be laughing all the way to the bank, but he's not Hitler.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I would love to know how many times Beck refers to Nazis during his shows. I've lost count.

6. YankeeFan

Couldn't tell you.

Beck was on in the morning when I lived in Houston. I'd put him on, but I only had about a five minute commute (if I hit the lights right).

He talks about himself a LOT. About how he used to be an alcoholic. About his special needs -- is that the right term -- daughter. About his Mormon conversion.

Didn't interest me.

Now they've put him on the Salem station here. His competition on Rush's station here is lousy, so I listen to him one in a while.

I'm still not a fan.

I like to play a game of guessing who his "sponsor this half hour is". Is it Gold Line? Is it Carbonite?

Maybe he's referred to Nazis a lot. I don't usually listen very long & only half listen when I do.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

8. YankeeFan

That's pretty funny.

I know Beck sees a boogey man under every bed, and that's part of what I don't like about him. I just didn't realize how many of the boogey men were Nazis.

His whole Gold Line pitch is that you need gold coins for when society basically collapses.

Then there's this sponsor: Food Insurance http://www.foodinsurance.com/

That's right, over time you buy food with a long shelf life to stock your bomb shelter so you can survive -- when society collapses.

Playing on people's fears is what Beck does. Nazis are scary, so I suppose it's no surprise he's used them.

9. YankeeFan

Yeah, he's not getting under anyone's skin:

10. PaulS

PaulS Member

I can totally see Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin marching with Martin Luther King and Ralph Abernathy through the streets of Memphis in support of trashmen striking for better pay and better working conditions.

11. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Glenn Beck is not responsible for the birthers, YF.

I thought his answer on Beck was quite on target. He certainly has the right to be there, and good for him (and those attending) using their constitutional right to peacefully assemble.

But he is using fear to stir people up--as you've already so eloquently pointed out, primarily for financial gain--and these things gather more followers in tough times.

12. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Now that, PaulS, is very funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.