1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Glenn Beck pins blame for 9/11 attacks on Saudi Prince, News Corp. stakeholder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Anybody who listened to Glenn Beck for more than about two days, and took him halfway seriously, would simply have to go put their head in the oven.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Still not a fan of Glenn Beck, but I do get a kick out of how much he drives liberals crazy.

I also enjoyed watching people complain that he shouldn't speak on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial -- especially on the anniversary of King's speech.

Why, it's offensive. It's sacrilegious. That's hallowed ground.

Pretty ironic considering most of the people making the argument were also trying to demonize those who are against the NYC Mosque for making similar arguments. And I say this as someone who is not against the Mosque.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A reach irony indeed. Beck created a real conundrum for the Liberal cable news networks.

4. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

It shouldn't be a conundrum.

The site doesn't belong to MLK, Beck, or Marian Anderson. If he wants to speak there, and has all the permits and the proper setup, then have at it.

Him claiming to grab MLK's mantle is ridiculous, however. Nowhere near the same kind of message, and I find it quite ironic that he'd try to claim the mantle of a man who was falsely labeled a 'communist' for opposing the Vietnam War, among other things.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And Beck has made a career of falsely labeling people Communists.

6. YankeeFan

BTW, I read that they would not let Beck speak from as high atop the steps of the Lincoln Memorial as King spoke. Supposedly, no one is allowed to speak from there anymore.

So I guess we do consider some places too sacred to be desecrated by the likes of Glenn Beck.

Here's Beck:

[​IMG]

See how low he is.

Here's where King spoke from:

[​IMG]

Now, as far as no one being allowed to speak from the top, that must not actually be true either:

[​IMG]

You say they made an exception for a newly elected President?

It doesn't look like sacred ground it these pictures from the same event:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

neener neener, and here we go, it's all part of the plan, etc etc etc.

8. YankeeFan

You're so disingenuous, Starman. What plan? Whose plan?

You're more than happy to contribute to certain threads that touch on politics. Somehow, they don't bother you.

I'm not making any kind of "neener, neener" point.

I didn't say anything bad about Obama. I didn't say anything good about Glenn Beck. I showed a couple of pictures that show Beck wasn't able to speak from where King or Obama (who spoke from even higher up than King) were allowed to speak from.

Did I lie? Did I say anything disingenuous?

Do facts bother you?

Feel free to comment or criticize my post, but to constantly just post "neener, neener" adds nothing to the discussion.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Will anyone on this board (and most other people, I assume those who were there will remember) even recall this event by Halloween? I doubt it. Whatever their ideology, there will be some new thing to argue about. If mass rallies meant anything, the Vietnam War would've been much shorter. Want a rally? Knock yourselves out, whoever you're mad at.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I would applaud the effort behind Beck's message, except he long ago destroyed his chances of being a man of peace with his divisive rants of the last several years.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Indeed.

Let's see: Protests by a race of human beings over being able to vote and be treated equally as other races vs. People protesting a war in which thousands of American soldiers were being killed, not to mention thousands of Vietnamese, vs. a protest by millionaires over paying a few more percentage points of their taxable income.

Yeah, I'd highly doubt this is going to be remembered three months from now.

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

As usual, YF, wishing for something doesn't make it so. I know that's the conservative party line...that Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, et al, "drive liberals crazy."

But just like with Sarah Palin, I think most liberals see Beck as a a joke. Personally, I find it kind of sad that so many conservatives have swallowed this huckster's bill of goods hook, line and sinker. My sense is that he's laughing all the way to the bank. Barnum was right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.